• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hello from Long Island, New York, USA (1 Viewer)

MER

Sending a Hello from Long Island, New York, USA !

So glad I found this forum! Perhaps I'll find others in my area within this group.

I've just started backyard bird feeding last year. I've been learning about the species in my area as well as feeding basics. I'm fortunate to have beautiful hummingbirds, finches, as well as the usual visitors native to my northeastern USA region.

Very charming to watch.

But I want to be responsible about it. I didn't realize until recently that summer feeding might be frowned upon (??). Also, have noticed a few finches during this summer have seemed sick, despite my very thorough and weekly disinfecting of feeders, trays and baths. Now researching about the apparent common diseases it might be and various treatments. But overall the population seems very vibrant and healthy.

Importantly, I look forward to "searching forums" to find the appropriate one to post all these questions to as well as learn all the valuable information I will need to be a responsible and successful birder.

Look forward, and thank you!

Mar

Now, do we call you Mer or Mar?? ;)

Hi there and a warm welcome to you from a former New Yorker and also on behalf of the entire staff here at BirdForum :t:

Weโ€™re glad you found us and please join in wherever you like ;)

Hello Mar, and welcome to the forum. I, personally, don't see a problem with summer feeding, though some seem to. Keeping the feeders clean is very important, seems you are doing well.

Hi Mar and a warm welcome from me too.

I'm a summer feeder; I think it can help the adults get a start in the morning to fill themselves, before going about the business of finding food for the bairns.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I hope to hear about all the birds you see when out and about.

I believe that the parent birds need all the help they can get for feeding the youngsters so I feed all year long. ;)

Welcome to BirdForum! I am sure you will find lots to interest you here, and I hope you enjoy your visits.

Hi Mar!
I am also a summer feeder and have not heard to really not. Welcome from another newbie in Ohio!๐Ÿ˜ƒ

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back