• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hello from Virginia (1 Viewer)

Rosebudforbirds

Just to say hello. Love all birds and particularly hummers. Have been enjoying them the last few days as they have picked up - maybe some stopping over as they begin their migration from up north to Mexico or further south. My French Hybrid lilac is in it’s light late summer bloom and they love the blooms. Seem to have tons flitting and darting all over the yard going from chasing bugs to the feeders. Spend their resting time in the redbud tree or the wisteria. So funny to see them clinging to a wispy wisteria branch rocking and rolling in the breeze. Same for resting on the morning glories. They also seem to enjoy a tall topiary form over a weeping purple lantana in a big window box that’s right next to a feeder hanging on a swing that currently houses my vanda orchids for the summer. They can get a bit of sweet nectar (sugar water and natural from the lantana), go catch some bugs, Stop off at the lilacs, come back to rest and watch for interlopers trying to take over their territory. I have one very territorial male this year who may not make his journey to Mexico as he is going to wear himself out defending 3 feeders, the lilac, and the rest of the yard. He has even buzzed me when I’m changing the feeders or just watering deck flowers — very brazen. He flies right up in front of me and catches me off guard - I’m so scared I will swat out of natural reaction and hurt one - wish he wouldn’t do that. I always hate to see folks hand-feed because they train them to expect to be fed. Then they end up in someone else’s garden or when guests are around who aren’t expecting something loud and buzzy right at eyesight and around your head or hands. And they have long memories and will do this always as they return to the same place each year. So think of that when hand feeding — you may be training them to inadvertently get killed by an unsuspecting stranger not used to something buzzing their heads and hands.

I shouldn’t forget my late crop of cardinal babies, and the brown thrusher fledglings. Even seems to be last crop of mocking birds in the Nelly Stevens holly testing out their flight maneuvers. Sure love watching the brown thrusters park their babies (3) in the small trees or shrubs - 2 stay as out, but one seems to refuse and then gets somewhere and is calling so the parents have to come back. They fly him/her back to the other two and the scenario repeats itself in 10 or so minutes. It seems to be impatient and maybe figures if he meets the parents by himself he will get a larger share of food.

Happy bird watching.

Hi there and a warm welcome to you from those of us on staff here at BirdForum :t:

We're glad you found us and thanks for taking a moment to say hello. Please join in wherever you like ;)

Sounds like you've got a wonderful bird population.

Don't know whether you have any but my Hummers just love Texas Sage and it's beautiful blooms ;)

Welcome to Birdforum! I am sure that you will find lots to interest you here and I hope that you enjoy your visits.

Hi, and welcome to the forum. Sounds like you have created a wonderful environment for the birds!

Hi Rosebudforbirds and a warm welcome from me too.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I hope to hear about all the birds you see when out and about.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back