• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hello,long shot need a lens if poss for an old pair of 7x42 habicht. (1 Viewer)

hipringle

United Kingdom
Just wondering if anyone could poss suggest where what or how to get a replacment eye lens for my 7x42 habicht binoculars please, I'm guessing they are from around late 70,s.
The lens has surface scratches on it and although the viewing is really nice and sharp I'd love to get a better replacment lens, would anyone have suggestions for alternative ones that might fit so I can do a search?.
Kind rgds
Mark

Attachments

• 20230525_071607.jpg
    20230525_071607.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 17
  • 20230525_071641.jpg
    20230525_071641.jpg
  • 20230525_071646.jpg
    20230525_071646.jpg
Hi Mark,

They're a bit more recent, from the mid 1980’s. See the third table in post #7 at: Habicht 7x42 Question

While you may luck out and someone reading this may have a spare eyepiece assembly, or know where to get one :unsure:,
you may need to buy another unit.

As can be seen from the table, the 7x42 was the best selling version and made in large numbers. So they’re frequently found on sales sites.
In terms of keeping costs down you'll ideally want one in poor cosmetic condition - though with good glass in one eyepiece.

One consideration is that the 7x42's until around 1965 used a different eyepiece. The later one that you want is easily verifiable:
from around #735k on, and with a different external lens.
See the details and a comparison image in post #128 at: Why are those dang Habicht's so BRIGHT!

John

p.s. An important consideration: As yours is the individual focus version, if you buy a second unit it should also be the IF version,
as the eyepiece assembly will be in a threaded housing like yours.
(These are typically cheaper than the more desirable central focus models - where the eyepiece assembly slides back and forth for focusing.)

Last edited:
Superb John thanks ever so much for the information and effort.

Am I correct in assuming I have the later lens but in an earlier housing, the serial number suggests it should be earlier or am i missing something?, also the right side lens that is scratched has crosshair type markings when looked through, is that normal for these, apologies for my ignorance I'm just on a steep learning curve.
Much appreciated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back