• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Best compromise for a pair of Woodland binoculars ideally 7x ? (1 Viewer)

I continue to bird with the retrovids. My only complaint is I would like the focus wheel to be padded, but....I understand being a retro, why it isn't. But the optics are simply stunning. I don't have a regular pair of Trinovid to compare them to so can't relate right now but I would guess closer to the Ultra's than the Trinovid.
Absolutely very similar to the UVHD’s (+) optically. Clearly a step up from any other Trinovids, HD, BR, BN. Stunning is a good description. Every time you put them to your eyes, it impresses. Gorgeous image quality, like a lot of the alpha Leica’s. I know what you mean about the focuser but that is also part of its uniqueness. I’m not crazy about them when it’s below 20° outside 😟

HD and HD + maybe 2% light transmission at most, not any telling difference. The main difference of the + was the focus was improved. If you have a HD 7X42 there is absolutely no need to up grade IMHO.

HD and HD + maybe 2% light transmission at most, not any telling difference. The main difference of the + was the focus was improved. If you have a HD 7X42 there is absolutely no need to up grade IMHO.
Hi Andy,

I was referring to the comment made by Imans66 about not knowing how the Trinovid retros compared to other Trinovids (not Ultravids) over the years. I was trying to make the point that the retros were in another league from other Trinovids, most specifically better than the newer trinovid HD’s. Which I believe are more on the upper end of the mid-grade level, MHG, Conquest, kowa Genesis and Trinovid HD. I think the retros are closer optically to the Ultravids than other Trinovids.

I fully agree with you on the UVHD and UVHD+, no need regardless of which size and magnification to upgrade to the plus.

Paul

Before spending £1000 how about trying the

Opticron Discovery WP PC 7x42​

If you like it you'll save a packet. It's only £180.

I've not tried it myself but I think there were some good opinions of it here when it was released.

If you decide 7x42 isn't for you, you haven't lost much at all.
We purchased these New a few days ago from FeatherEdgeOptics …. $185. I agree with all the positive reviews. Eye cups huge with corresponding eye relief with no blackouts with eye cups all the way down with our glasses. Plain looking, nothing fancy but seem to be built like a tank. Not the lightest but sure are compact. Great price even if paid full retail. Opticron did a great job at their price point. They might not have ED glass but the pair we received optically give nothing up to the Kowa 6.5x32 we owned. Those reading this who are or were going to get the Kowa here in North America, I highly recommend one trying these Opticrons first. The Opticrons have a Transferable Warranty, the Kowa’s do not. You might be pleasantly surprised with what Opticron managed to bring to compete with the 6- 7x power binoculars in the $200 - $350 price range and save some money too.

Attachments

• 3815A6EA-F2CA-4A23-8120-C9B7780077FE.jpeg
    3815A6EA-F2CA-4A23-8120-C9B7780077FE.jpeg
    1,020.5 KB · Views: 38
Try the 7x35 Leica Retro.....the best I have seen....

But...to tag on to the Opticron.... yes....by all means, they are good. I haven't tried that particular model but do have a 8x32 Verano and I know the quality that Opticron brings to the table, so I am sure these 7x42 Discoveries are on the same par. Good company....

This thread was begun in January. Hopefully Richard has found a 7x by now?
7x50 SLC neu - that I picked up as ex-demo stock. Very happy with them - unbelievably bright (I probably use them more for pre-dawn birding more than woodland birding though, purely because I still do very little woodland birding). Not the extreme FoV that some people crave, but good enough for me.

Try the 7x35 Leica Retro.....the best I have seen....

But...to tag on to the Opticron.... yes....by all means, they are good. I haven't tried that particular model but do have a 8x32 Verano and I know the quality that Opticron brings to the table, so I am sure these 7x42 Discoveries are on the same par. Good company....
We purchased/owned a New 7x35 Leica back in the Mid 80’s,. I think I paid less than $400 back then , I really liked them. Today I am not going to pony up between $1200- $1400 for the Retro with it not being waterproof .

We purchased/owned a New 7x35 Leica back in the Mid 80’s,. I think I paid less than $400 back then , I really liked them. Today I am not going to pony up between $1200- $1400 for the Retro with it not being waterproof .
Just found this with a quick search..."$400 in 1980 is equivalent in purchasing power to about $1,446.66 today"

I also remember candy bars for a quarter, but that quarter was harder for me to come by than a $20 bill is now, which means they actually went down in price, maybe.

I'm with you about the waterproof thing, but if they were, then they'd probably be going for Ultravid prices.

Just found this with a quick search..."$400 in 1980 is equivalent in purchasing power to about $1,446.66 today"

I also remember candy bars for a quarter, but that quarter was harder for me to come by than a $20 bill is now, which means they actually went down in price, maybe.

I'm with you about the waterproof thing, but if they were, then they'd probably be going for Ultravid prices.
For point of comparison, I own 8x42UVHD+ and SFL8x40. The 7x35 Retros are still my favorite binos. They are just simply sweet.
Others of course may differ!

I bet you would find the retro's a whole lot better than the Leica's of the 1980s... they , like all things Leica produces, oozes quality... I know I had an old pair of Zeiss Dialyt which are more or less the same style etc... But the old Zeiss were really 'long'..... these new Retro's are compact, light....super sharp view. They will not be as fast to focus as the Ultravid's...and yes, are not water proof. But what a nice pair of bins

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back