• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hello (1 Viewer)

Ric50

Brand new to this site. Found it trying to find out if it is safe to feed Quaker Oats to wild birds. We five inches of show (unusual for Portland) thats is going to hang around for a while (even more unusual).

Favortie backyard bird are the hummers. The whole garden is dedicated to feeding them. Started going that way ten years ago, and just found out about salvia's last summer. Yep, I am slow....

Get to watch Red Tail Hawks and Great Blue Herens feed at the public wetlands where I walk the dog. Have seen Red Tail's mate several times. It is so much fun to watch their chicks after they have learned to fly, they make great daredevils. Just got to love nature...

Happy New Year

Hi Ric,

Welcome to BirdForum!

Just saw your query about oats and, yes, they are good for birds.

Hope your hummers are alright with the freeze! The sugar solution should stay liquid in the feeders a few degrees below freezing, but not very much - might be an idea to warm them up slightly, to thaw any ice in them. Do you have many hummers around at the moment? - most migrate south for the winter, but a few Anna's Hummers will stay all year.

Michael

Hi Ric and on behalf of the staff here at Bird Forum, a very warm welcome to you along with our wishes for a healthy and happy New Year.

I have been putting rolled oats out for my birds for quite a few years now and they get eaten with relish.

I only get hummers for a very short time in the summer so I envy you. Inland further, some of my fellow birders are keeping a few through the winter. I would love to have a straggler through the winter here at the beach. You live in a beautiful state and it sounds as though you are enjoying it to its fullest.

Welcome, Ric, from the great midwestern wilderness known as Indiana.

I grew up in a town named Portland, but not, unfortunately, Oregon. I'd sure love to see YOUR Portland someday. A far, far cry from a little Indiana town of 7,000, no doubt. :)

I'm glad of your question -- I've wondered about oats, too. Guess I'll have to run out to the store and get some!

Have a good time here on Birdforum -- and don't forget to keep telling us about your birds!

Hi Ric - Welcome to BF. I've been feeding porridge oats to my birds for years now - I don't buy the branded "Quaker oats" - they just get the supermarket's own brand. I did stop putting them out for a while this summer, when I noticed that the bluetit parents were taking them into the nesting box to feed the chicks (we could actually watch this happening, as there is a camera in the box). We thought that since the chicks had no access to any water, dry oats would be very bad for them.

Last edited:
Just as a side note here, I don't know that the flavored packets of instant oatmeal would be suitable for the birds.

At least one...

One hummer left. I heard it twice this week, but not able to spot it. Yes, am able to keep solution out for them.

I saw on a web sight this week that they are able to find other food in the winter. Like small seeds and bugs, that is why a few hang around.

Michael Frankis said:
Hi Ric,

Welcome to BirdForum!

Just saw your query about oats and, yes, they are good for birds.

Hope your hummers are alright with the freeze! The sugar solution should stay liquid in the feeders a few degrees below freezing, but not very much - might be an idea to warm them up slightly, to thaw any ice in them. Do you have many hummers around at the moment? - most migrate south for the winter, but a few Anna's Hummers will stay all year.

Michael

Thank you

Happy New Year

Good info...

I think there is still one hummer around. Have heard it twice this week, but not seen.

KCFoggin said:
Hi Ric and on behalf of the staff here at Bird Forum, a very warm welcome to you along with our wishes for a healthy and happy New Year.

I have been putting rolled oats out for my birds for quite a few years now and they get eaten with relish.

I only get hummers for a very short time in the summer so I envy you. Inland further, some of my fellow birders are keeping a few through the winter. I would love to have a straggler through the winter here at the beach. You live in a beautiful state and it sounds as though you are enjoying it to its fullest.

Ok

Will be able to get out today and get real bird feed. Thank you

KCFoggin said:
Just as a side note here, I don't know that the flavored packets of instant oatmeal would be suitable for the birds.

Oats are OK...

I guess alot of people are using it to feed birds.

Yes, Portland and Oregon is a great place for a nature lover, I am lucky.
I grew up in a small town also, I can remember the population being under 1000.

Happy New Year

Beverlybaynes said:
Welcome, Ric, from the great midwestern wilderness known as Indiana.

I grew up in a town named Portland, but not, unfortunately, Oregon. I'd sure love to see YOUR Portland someday. A far, far cry from a little Indiana town of 7,000, no doubt. :)

I'm glad of your question -- I've wondered about oats, too. Guess I'll have to run out to the store and get some!

Have a good time here on Birdforum -- and don't forget to keep telling us about your birds!

Hi,Ric,welcome to BF.Yes as everyone says oats is okay for the birds.I often give the birds muesli,and put in lots of extra raisins etc.Any oats which are left,I throw out for the seagulls.
Christine.

Hi and thanks for the info, but already had the answer. And, the snow is melting.

I used to feed the birds year round. Until the rodents started to show up. Thinking about starting agian, in a more open area. Hopefully that will help.

christineredgat said:
Hi,Ric,welcome to BF.Yes as everyone says oats is okay for the birds.I often give the birds muesli,and put in lots of extra raisins etc.Any oats which are left,I throw out for the seagulls.
Christine.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back