• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hello! (1 Viewer)

I've just joined and wanted to say a quick HI to everyone before I start to read messages and try to learn the ropes...it might take me a while!

I'm from Essex, but have lived in North Yorkshire for two years now. My birding has been put on the back-burner for a while, but that's going to change!

Jo

Hi on behalf of the staff & moderators welcome. You will find many experst on all subjects covered here. We hope you learn from us all & enjoy particpating on the site.

CJ

where you will find the answer to any question you can think of.

I was once asked at the end of one of my lectures at a university. "Why do birds Fly"

CJ

Welcome Jo! I see Colin has done the official welcome so I will just say Hi!

There are volumes of answers in all the threads here so take your time and enjoy.

Hi Jo and a HUGE welcome!!! I can guarantee that you'll be just as addicted as the rest of us BEFORE the week is out! Don't worry about not being able to find your way around...just ask questions, post new threads and ENJOY!!! OH, and don't forget, try to occasionally fit in a wee bit of birding now and then!!! I'm sure that's why the guys who run BF occasionally close it down for a day or so...it's not really to upgrade it.....it's to get us lot out birding again!!!

"Why do birds fly?"..........cos they can!!! That's all I can offer this morning....works do last night..too much alcohol....tried to turn a Coal Tit into a Great this morning in my garden........uuuggghhh, never again!!!!!

I think I'm already addicted, Gill! I've really missed talking about, and hearing about other people's birds, and there seem to be people here from all over the globe! :cool:

Gill Osborne said:
uuuggghhh, never again!!!!!

Until the next time!! B :)

Jo

Yes, that's one of the, if not THE, best thing about BF...being able to chat away about birds and wildlife ;) . I don't really meet anyone in my normal day-to-day life who is also into wildlife....so when I do get to speak to someone who IS then it's very hard to actually shut me up!!! I work in a quite busy shop and have one customer who is also a birder so whenever he comes in we, quite naturally, swop sightings of what we've seen...he keeps trying to wind me up about Peregrines on my local patch!!! Of course the other staff keep teasing me about talking to him...they just won't have it that it's perfectly innocent!!!
Went out today to try to recover from last night.....still feel yucky!!! Sorry Liver!!!.........but what should I expect??? I'm normally tipsy after two halves...think I had a lot more than that!!! Serves me right!!! Probably won't have another alcoholic drink till about Christmas...honest, I'm just not a drinker B :) ...especially at the moment!!!

I used to do a lot of birding when I lived in Essex, Gill, and I had quite a few birding friends and a brilliant local patch! But since I moved up here two years ago I've been so busy with work, and haven't met anybody with the same interests as me, and I don't drive, so it's in the garden, or on the way to and home from work, walking my dogs, or day trips to the coast when I see my birds.
There's plenty to see (watched a beautiful Barn Owl hunting tonight while walking the dogs!) but I do miss my old haunts from down south, and the companionship of other birders. I'm trying to get my daughter more enthusiastic, and she does love birds, she just not as passionate about them as I am!

Jo

Hi,Jo,A quick welcome to BF,you will learn lots and no matter how silly your question may sound to you,don't be afraid to ask,there are some very canny folks here!!
Christine

Jo,I am totally the wrong person to whom you should address a question re technology,but I think it means that people are using that particular thread,in other words ,it is active,if i have given the wrong answer someone will very quickly step in with the correct one.If it is correct ,I claim 3 Brownie points!!.
Christine

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back