• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Help: Adusting Diopter Sightron BSii 8x32? (1 Viewer)

Hi, this is my first time posting in this forum.

Photography has been a serious hobby for many years. Used to go once or twice a week to photograph birds by the shore and in the woods near my house, but since the pandemic started I’ve been actively going out looking for different species.

After using a monocular for a while, decided to get binoculars which I find help spot warblers and other small birds faster. Found a good price on the Sightron BSii 8x32 which according to many reviews are very decent for the price.

I’m having problems adjusting them. After using them my eyes bother me and one time I ended up with a headache. Watched several videos and read several tutorials. Tried using a far away object and also tried staring and relaxing the eyes while making the adjustments. A friend also had the same issue.

Found a good deal on a used old Nikon Venturer LX 8x32 and tried them. Used them for a couple of hours without any issues. They work great, so bought them. They are a bit heavier and show similar amounts of CA (about as much as the Sightron which don’t have ED) which seems strange given their original price but it doesn’t really bother me. The short focusing throw is excellent watching birds in flight.

I don’t know much about binoculars so don’t know if I’m doing something wrong or if there’s something wrong with Sightron. Or maybe it’s me… I have mixed eye dominance and the adjustment process might not work well for me. Or maybe the cheaper binoculars can be harder to fine tune?

The store offered to take the Sightron back, but I want to try to make them work because I like the design and the image quality seems pretty good. I could keep them in the backpack and also used them when I go to dusty/muddy places and leave the Nikon at home which, though about 20 years old still, are in good shape. I tried Prostaff 3s 8x42 and 10x42, Vortex Crossfire and Diamondback and didn’t like them as much.

Can someone help me find more detailed information that might help me better understand the process/alternatives?

Thanks

The bino's are faulty. Send them back get them replaced. A headache is a sign of lack of collimation - In other words the two images don't align properly and your brain is suffering.

Get a new pair. I also own the Sightron BSll and LOVE them to bits. Great binocular that served me well.

The bino's are faulty. Send them back get them replaced. A headache is a sign of lack of collimation - In other words the two images don't align properly and your brain is suffering.

Get a new pair. I also own the Sightron BSll and LOVE them to bits. Great binocular that served me well.
Thanks. I will send it back then....

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back