• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Help Completing UK List (1 Viewer)

Alexjh1

Now this is a bit of a broad question, and requires a slight bit of background.

Essentially, last year I decided I wanted to start trying to do some very amateur wildlife photography. Realising I didn't have anywhere near the money needed for a good SLR and some big lenses, instead I basically ended up getting the point and click camera with the biggest zoom available at the time. Quality is nowhere near as good as an SLR at range, but has to do.

As I wanted to do something with these photos, I started up a blog where I'd try to photograph all the birds in the UK, replacing worse photos with better ones as I progressed.

I'm currently on 132 species of the 250ish regular UK list photographed but I'm now beginning to slow down a lot. Unfortunatly, I don't drive, which really limits my travel ability except by public transport or begging lifts off people.

What it basically boils down to is:

If anyone can give any tips for seeing any of the remaining species yet to go (ie, ones not listed down the right hand list of links) I'd greatly appreciate it.

Some of them are obviously going to not be public knowledge (Cranes, Montagues Harriers etc) and a good chunk of the remainder will probably require going to Scotland to see (Eagles, Parrot and Scottish Crossbills, Capercaille, Black Guillemots, Hooded Crow, Crested Tits etc) but any tips on things which don't fall into those categories would be very welcome!

I live in North Northamptonshire, but I'm regularly in London and getting to Leicester or Rutland isn't too hard, so anything in those locations particularly would be appreciated, but anything else at all would be good knowledge for planning future trips around.

Thanks for any help - and please don't feel the need to try and do big chunks of the list by any one person - if there is just one or two suggestions you could make that'd be brilliant!

Thanks and sorry for such a big question...

This sounds like a brilliant project, speaking as one who also opted for the same compact megazoom option. Best of luck.

I've just passed through Leighton Moss where the marsh harriers were displaying well and even getting close enough to the hides. This may be a bit of a trek from Northants but it is right next to Silverdale railway station. Therein lies a match with my own little project - trying to find the best birding spots on the railway network.

Just a thought but have you thought of south stack anglsey ,chough,black guilimot ,puffin ,razerbill ,guilimot and possibly other stuff ,i have taken these here without an slr also artic, common ,and sandwich terns at cemlyn bay still a long way from northamptonshire but a lot closer that scotland

Just a thought but have you thought of south stack anglsey ,chough,black guilimot ,puffin ,razerbill ,guilimot and possibly other stuff ,i have taken these here without an slr also artic, common ,and sandwich terns at cemlyn bay still a long way from northamptonshire but a lot closer that scotland

..... probably get Roseate as well, if you can get someone from Holyhead to take you out to The Skerries.
Chris

Ohh thankyou - Black Guillemot, Roseate and Chough sound particularly good, as do Marsh Harriers! I have a friend who I believe originally comes from Anglesey, so I may have to try and wrangle that into a trip somehow!

Looking at my remainder list so far, there are one or two glaring omissions (yellow wagtail, sand martin and siskin) There are also one or two, which while not everyday, everyone else seems to find much easier than me - things like redstart, hobby and little owl.

Otherwise, a lot of the rest of the list seems to come away in clumps:
No divers, shearwaters, skuas, yellow beaked swans, sea ducks (other than eider), eagles, harriers, cuckoo, crakes, nightjar, shrikes, rarer warblers or redstarts.

The biggest single chunk missing though seems to be waders - 14 down and possibly as many to go still.

Thanks again for the help thus far!

I note you get to London frequently. Well, if you can keep going from there, many a Kent beach is likely to get you some waders you are missing - if you get the timing right.

And many are easily accessible by train.

Thanks! - that in theory shouldn't be a problem (I tend to be down in London for a few days at a time, so a day trip shouldn't be an issue) - are there any ones you would particularly recommend? I'm also guessing that winter might be better for waders?

Thanks! - that in theory shouldn't be a problem (I tend to be down in London for a few days at a time, so a day trip shouldn't be an issue) - are there any ones you would particularly recommend? I'm also guessing that winter might be better for waders?

Well, in the 'near London' end of Kent there is Cliffe Pools not far from Rochester, also the Isle of Grain is good.

A bit further out, The Swale is good for waders, gulls, terns, skuas and other things, and can be reached without too much difficulty from Sittingbourne or Faversham. The Kent Wildlife Trust manages reserves at Oare Marshes and South Swale. Moving further east still, the beaches in the Whitstable/Herne Bay area can be good, and continuing as far as you can without entering Belgium, Margate Harbour and beach can turn up some goodies - the Harbour usually produces Purple Sandpipers. (Though it has to be said, Margate itself is particularly horrible! [apologies to any Margate residents who migh read this])

I believe - in fact, I know - that there are others on BF who are more familiar with a lot of these places than I am, and I am sure would be able to give more detailed information.

And yes, Winter would, in general terms, be better for waders, and favourable winds can increase your chances of seeing the more unusual.

Last edited:
Thanks, I'll have to track down a proper pochard then. Though I *might* possibly be alright with the RCP, I was talking to a guy that day and he was saying that there were non-collection RCP about at that point - I just went for the one that wasn't with all the others in the collection enclosure. I'll try and replace it anyway if I get the oppertunity, otherwise it'd be of cheating.

I've only just realised your trying to do it with a point and click - good effort sir, that's a real challenge and lots of fun. And about the rcps - everyone in Britain is either an escape or feral, so don't worry about getting another one, imo.
Chris

If you make your way down to East Kent Purple sandpiper is almost a certainty on the chalky outcrops off North Foreland, Cliftonville in the winter. At high tide can be very close, along with loads of Sanderling and Turnstone.

Also great photo oppertunities for Fulmar sitting on the cliffs.

Sevenoaks wildfowl reserve is easily accessable by train, the nearest station is Bat & Ball, not Sevenoaks.

If you make your way down to East Kent Purple sandpiper is almost a certainty on the chalky outcrops off North Foreland, Cliftonville in the winter. At high tide can be very close, along with loads of Sanderling and Turnstone.

Also great photo oppertunities for Fulmar sitting on the cliffs.

Sevenoaks wildfowl reserve is easily accessable by train, the nearest station is Bat & Ball, not Sevenoaks.

I'd agree with that - with the minor quibble that North Foreland is Broadstairs...

Marsh Harriers have been seen at Martin Mere Reserve which is between Preston and Southport - the local station at Burscough is about half a mile away - I am using a Fuji Finepix S1500 which I have found is better than a point and shoot - good practice before buying a full SLR as all settings can be customised (Asda are doing a good deal at the moment!!) Good luck with your quest xx

Marsh Harriers have been seen at Martin Mere Reserve which is between Preston and Southport - the local station at Burscough is about half a mile away

but use Burscough Bridge, not Burscough Junction! The walk is well over a mile and a little forbidding at first, passing through a dark alley behind a truck depot. But it's totally worth it for the possibility of corn buntings through the subsequent farmland although I see you now do have a shot of one of those!

The walk is shorter from New Lane, just a little up the line, but trains are nowhere near as frequent.

As already recommended, I would suggest joining a local group - in adjacent Bedfordshire the Bedford RSPB group offer field trips via minibus to reserves which will get you some of the species you need. I'm not sure if a similar group exists in NHants ?

Typically a full day out at somewhere like Minsmere from Bedford would cost around £15 max, cheaper than a rail trip of similar distance.

best of luck
Robin

Right, just a quick update, now just past the one year anniversary of starting and I'm 137 species down, with a further 6 species seen but either too distant or quick to leap into undergrowth to actually photograph - a nice four species at Rainham the other day, and while one was just sand martins, two were lifers (avocet and common scoter).

It's also lead to the intriguing situation, where birds including Bittern, Osprey, Water Rail, Spoonbill, Mediteranean Gull, Black Necked Grebe and Common Scoter are apparently easier to see than Siskins or Little Owls, both of which I've still yet to get.

Just for my own summary though - trips to try and plan when time/money is available so far:

Leighton Moss: Marsh Harriers
Angelsey: Black Guillemot, Chough, Roseate Tern
Cliftonville: Purple Sandpipers, Sanderlings
Waxham: Cranes
Swale: Gulls, Terns, Skuas, Waders
Various Scotland: Lots of things

Thanks for all the help so far!

Looking at what I've got left, is there anyone who could offer advice on any of hobby, merlin, little owl, ring ouzel, turtle dove, any divers, hawfinch, any redpoll, garden, cettis or grasshopper warblers, lesser whitethroat or yellow legged gull to pick a list of vaguely achievable looking birds...

Thanks again!

Stodmarsh next spring might be an idea.

Oodles of Hobby, far from unusual to see 20+ and one is almost guarenteed to drift nicely over head.

Also there are loads of Cetti although very hard to see, and Turtle Dove is usually around.

Good for Garden Warbler & Lesser Whitethoat.

May still be Redpoll around in the alder carr at the Stodmarsh end.

There's a regular Little Owl on farm buildings up the Stodmarsh end.

I believe there is a bus from Canterbury to Grove Ferry or a long walk, 15 mile there & back, from Sturry station. If you are up to it and have the time, it can be a rewarding walk. The route takes you past lakes at Fordwich and through Trenly Park Wood. It also passes through Higham Farm which is a well known spot for Little Owl.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back