• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Help me find a decent 8x32 for a low price (1 Viewer)

Logitech

Germany
Hi guys,
I just registered as I found this site while searching for infos on binoculars and found this to be an incredible source of knowledge. I am not an avid bird watcher at all, but interested in it and could see myself doing it more seriously in the future. Still, watching animals will only be one use case for my binoculars. I will also use it to watch the surf from the shore and take it occasionally to hunting trips (I dont hunt myself but accompany a friend who does). So it is more like an allround use. But it will almost only be used during the day.

The only bino I owned so far is an old Nikon Egret II 8x40 that I inherited. And I like it. That already tells you my level of knowledge and experience with binos;-) What I am looking for is something lighter and less bulky while delivering about equal magnification and better image quality. So I thought 8x32 would be the best.

I am looking for something with decent image quality, small size, light weight ...and: good design. Dont get mad at me, but for me, things that I plan to carry a lot must be aesthetically pleasing. I have read in the "value sweet spot" thread that a good image quality can be had for about 190-500 bucks, and I would like to stay at the lower end if possible.

From many great posts here I learned about the following models that were described as good:

Nikon P7 Prostaff (can be had for little money and I like the design but a user here wrote about the locking ring falling off)
Hawke Endurance 7x32 Marine or 8x30 ED (a bit more expensive, dont like the design too much)
Sighton Blue Sky (not in production anymore I think, but I use a Sightron scope as a sports shooter and that is great, not a fan of the two hinge design though)
Kowa BD II 8x32 (a bit more expensive)
Opticron Verano and Traveller 8x32 (even more expensive, but I really like the minimalistic design and finish)

Are there any more that you would add to this list and which of those would you recommend for me?

Last edited:
Hi Logitech, welcome to the forum! I have the Traveller 8x32 and love it, it's a great performer and, just like you, I really like the understated minimalistic design. So I can recommend it with confidence. However, should you like to stick to a lower budget, I think you really can't go wrong with the Vortex Diamondback HD 8x32. It can be found for even under 200 € and the level of sharpness and contrast is really remarkable. Workmanship is also surprising for the price, as is the feeling of quality (and the icing on the cake is the great warranty). Whenever I use it I'm always surprised by the view, really. So I'd definitely shortlist it for around 200 €.

I also have the Endurance Marine ED 7x32 (I guess is the one you mean by "7x30"). I've bought it recently and I'm still getting to know it, I'll do a review shortly and publish my impressions. However, I can tell you that I've been quite surprised by the build quality. I'm not a big fan of the design either, but when you have it in your hands it really stands out: the focus wheel seems to be metal and there is no slack or play whatsoever, as good as many 1000 €, the rubber armour which looks kind of cheap on picture is actually applied to the main metal body with great care and doesn't "give" when you press, unlike other similar or even more expensive models. Really impressed. However, optically I haven't been as impressed as I anticipated. I mean, they're very good, and you'll probably be very happy with them, but I think (coming from the Diamondback, for example) I expected a little more for the price. But also worth shortlisting, especially for the 7x magnification which is something great and also for the generous field of view. But, as I said, I'll do a proper review shortly.

I hope that helps.

I have a problem with stating a specific amount of money I want to spend because I dont know how much better it would be if I say spend 500 on the Opticron instead of 200 on the Vortex or Nikon. All I can say is I would like to spend as little as possible to get a roof bino which is significantly lighter, smaller and better optically than my Nikon Egret;-)

In your case I second the Vortex Diamondback. I have a pair of the Travellers and they are great binoculars for the price. That said, it's all about the price and if you are trying to stay at the low end go for the Vortex, they punch way above their weight.

I have a problem with stating a specific amount of money I want to spend because I dont know how much better it would be if I say spend 500 on the Opticron instead of 200 on the Vortex or Nikon. All I can say is I would like to spend as little as possible to get a roof bino which is significantly lighter, smaller and better optically than my Nikon Egret;-)
Well in this group we're all going to say stretch your budget and get a pair of Swarovski NLs. Most of us are stressing over small differences in multi thousand dollar binoculars and that isn't your use case. The answer to how much better the Opticron will be than the Vortex is nuanced. If you are using binoculars all the time then yes, the difference might be worth it. If you are using them occasionally then likely the answer is no. If you can, go to a shop and try some out. If you can't then order from a reputable distributor who takes returns in case you hate them. That said, you will probably love them.

Thanks all. I read a bit more about the Vortex DB and they really seem to be good. Unfortunately they are also the ones with the ugliest design in my option. Logos all over the place and that strange bridge... well you cant have everything can you

I bought Nikon Monarch M7 8x30 for the GF for 380€ and they are great - nice picture, small size, light weight, smooth focus, comfy strap and good design. (y) :D

OpticronVerano….better than Traveler and in my reviews of, the entire lot in that $100- $600 . I have had most of the 8x32’s or 8x30 in my hands and took notes, tried side by side where I tried ‘in the field’..

The Veranos rule… a clean binocular and well built. I have had mine over a year and feel no strong issue against. I also just have a feeling over the long haul that the Verano won’t have the armor peeling away, focus play issues etc, as prone to others in this category from what I have seen in the field. But only time will tell

OpticronVerano….better than Traveler and in my reviews of, the entire lot in that $100- $600 . I have had most of the 8x32’s or 8x30 in my hands and took notes, tried side by side where I tried ‘in the field’..

The Veranos rule… a clean binocular and well built. I have had mine over a year and feel no strong issue against. I also just have a feeling over the long haul that the Verano won’t have the armor peeling away, focus play issues etc, as prone to others in this category from what I have seen in the field. But only time will tell
The benefits the Traveller has over the Verano are FOV, close focus, weight and price. I believe the Verano are made in Japan as oppose to the Traveller which is made in China.

It all depends on the optical and mechanical compromises you are willing to accept in order to spend less money.

You need to go somewhere where they sell binoculars, and look through some.

Then decide which ones you want. Cheap and good don’t usually go together in optics.

Broad categories are Junk, Truly awful, Useable, Better, Really good, Excellent, and The Very Best.

It doesn’t sound as if you want to go very far up this ladder.

Almost anything will show you what you would never see with your bare eyeballs.

Last edited:
Hi guys,
I just registered as I found this site while searching for infos on binoculars and found this to be an incredible source of knowledge. I am not an avid bird watcher at all, but interested in it and could see myself doing it more seriously in the future. Still, watching animals will only be one use case for my binoculars. I will also use it to watch the surf from the shore and take it occasionally to hunting trips (I dont hunt myself but accompany a friend who does). So it is more like an allround use. But it will almost only be used during the day.

The only bino I owned so far is an old Nikon Egret II 8x40 that I inherited. And I like it. That already tells you my level of knowledge and experience with binos;-) What I am looking for is something lighter and less bulky while delivering about equal magnification and better image quality. So I thought 8x32 would be the best.

I am looking for something with decent image quality, small size, light weight ...and: good design. Dont get mad at me, but for me, things that I plan to carry a lot must be aesthetically pleasing. I have read in the "value sweet spot" thread that a good image quality can be had for about 190-500 bucks, and I would like to stay at the lower end if possible.

From many great posts here I learned about the following models that were described as good:

Nikon P7 Prostaff (can be had for little money and I like the design but a user here wrote about the locking ring falling off)
Hawke Endurance 7x32 Marine or 8x30 ED (a bit more expensive, dont like the design too much)
Sighton Blue Sky (not in production anymore I think, but I use a Sightron scope as a sports shooter and that is great, not a fan of the two hinge design though)
Kowa BD II 8x32 (a bit more expensive)
Opticron Verano and Traveller 8x32 (even more expensive, but I really like the minimalistic design and finish)

Are there any more that you would add to this list and which of those would you recommend for me?

I can recommend the Opticron Explorer 8x32 - it’s priced a little above $250 (you can definitely get that lower if you call a sales rep)

The build quality was excellent, and enjoyed the optics, fov, ect.
I have tried the traveler and enjoyed the wider FOV, I also tried the verano but had a defective model.

But even after trying those, I was planning on going back to the explorer, but I eventually landed on the Vortex Viper 8x42 - which I use to this day.

All that to say, - for what you’re looking for - the Opticron Explorer is worth checking out 👍

Hope that helps!

Last edited:
The benefits the Traveller has over the Verano are FOV, close focus, weight and price. I believe the Verano are made in Japan as oppose to the Traveller which is made in China.
You are right on all accounts...but.... like many elements that one bin has over the other, it really depends on your needs/wants/wishes. For me... the FOV of the Verano is just fine as FOV on Verano is still 393', which is good. The price difference of $50 is nothing... Close focus of 5.9 to 6.6 is immaterial too as both in the ball park. Visually though, I see a difference in the sweet spot, glare etc.... Verano in my eyes still wins. I will always take MIJ over MIC... But the Traveler, ...well...a good bet as well, jim

Thanks all. I read a bit more about the Vortex DB and they really seem to be good. Unfortunately they are also the ones with the ugliest design in my option. Logos all over the place and that strange bridge... well you cant have everything can you
Even better for $75 more the Cabelas Viper Viper $299, good glass a real step up from the DB. Good mid level glass.

Attachments

• 6F4E21D5-7CDC-4421-87F5-ADE50ADBEEB6.jpeg
    6F4E21D5-7CDC-4421-87F5-ADE50ADBEEB6.jpeg
    308.3 KB · Views: 14
  • 17A1E111-3955-4DD8-92AF-7DF70ECDA0DD.jpg
    17A1E111-3955-4DD8-92AF-7DF70ECDA0DD.jpg
    202.2 KB · Views: 14
You are right, but, I will wager that if you have larger hands the Vrano will be a cleaar winner. The image on the Verano is also a bit more contrasty. The fov difference is not enough to be too much of a factor. The 32 mm Verano is a winner, quite opposite to its 42 mm siblings.

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back