• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Help me replace my spotting scope with 16 or 20x binos please (1 Viewer)

Tripod mounting thebparger binoculars will really help as noted. If you get a tripod mount make sure it’s a metal one
than you Peter.

This morning I bought a used kit: Manfrotto 3001 tripod with Manfrotto 128LP head (two axis, liquid filled) on ebay. I already have a 128LP for my spotting scope and I like how smooth I can pan with it. The 3001 is lighter in weight and 12" shorter than my 3021PRO, but the Nikons only weight a little over a kilo, so they are well matched, plus this gives me a lighter tripod to take if I need to pack it for a trip.

By the way for anyone reading this... if you buy a new tripod, buy something like the PRO version of Manfrotto (Pro means it allows you to take out the center column and mount it horizontal to the ground. I have done this with my 7 lb. spotting scope so I can sit back in a chair and the column comes over into the chair. It works and holds well. I can only pan by rotating the legs in this configuartion, but it is still worth it to recline and used the scope.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back