• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

[Help needed] Huet 8x30 binocular (1 Viewer)

Hello,

I recently got a pair of huet 8x30. There is a ring that turns the reticle inside the right lens, I unskewed the skew on it. Now I can't put back in correctly. The right ocular would not extend or retract.

Attachments

• IMG_20230401_172851.jpg
    IMG_20230401_172851.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 14
  • IMG_20230401_172829.jpg
    IMG_20230401_172829.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 14
  • IMG_20230401_172816.jpg
    IMG_20230401_172816.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 14
Hi and welcome,

Has it actually got a reticle, i.e a grid pattern that rotates?

If so, it shouldn't rotate.

I suppose a French binocular.

Is it individual eyepiece focus?

Are there three grub screws at the side?

Maybe turn the other way till it grips, then screw back?

Regards,
B.

Hi and welcome,

Has it actually got a reticle, i.e a grid pattern that rotates?

If so, it shouldn't rotate.

I suppose a French binocular.

Is it individual eyepiece focus?

Are there three grub screws at the side?

Maybe turn the other way till it grips, then screw back?

Regards,
B.
Yes. It does have a rotating grid. I believe I attached a photo of it. It is x-y ranging grid not just horizontal or T.

It is a French binocular.

Yes, individual focusing.

Yes there are three skews on the side. Should I unskew them first?

Hi Dave,

if one of the grub screws is hard to get back in, I would refrain from removing the others. Maybe loosen them a bit although I don't think that will change the situation.

As Binastro pointed out already, carefully turning the screw backward first is often the key to get the orientation right before turning it the right way and hopefully get the thread to engage.
I would try to do that with my fingers or tweezers as with a screwdriwer it's quite impossible.

I think you have proven that the grub screw you removed does enable the user to turn the individual focus for that EP. I would expect the reticule to be further in - maybe the knurled ring close to the prism housing?

Hope you get it back to work!

Joachim

carefully turning the screw backward first is often the key to get the orientation right before turning it the right way and hopefully get the thread to engage.
Exactly. It might take dozens of gentle attempts. With keen eyes (or a magnifying glass), you should be able to determine if the grub screw and female threads are damaged.

Hi Dave,

if one of the grub screws is hard to get back in, I would refrain from removing the others. Maybe loosen them a bit although I don't think that will change the situation.

As Binastro pointed out already, carefully turning the screw backward first is often the key to get the orientation right before turning it the right way and hopefully get the thread to engage.
I would try to do that with my fingers or tweezers as with a screwdriwer it's quite impossible.

I think you have proven that the grub screw you removed does enable the user to turn the individual focus for that EP. I would expect the reticule to be further in - maybe the knurled ring close to the prism housing?

Hope you get it back to work!

Joachim
I got it working! The threads on the tiny screws are very worn, so I had to press them in. I used a LOT lube too, looks like the eyepieces haven't been touched for 50 years. I want to buy some replacement screws but can't any.

Exactly. It might take dozens of gentle attempts. With keen eyes (or a magnifying glass), you should be able to determine if the grub screw and female threads are damaged.
Yes. The rotating reticle is a very odd design. I don't see the purpose of it. The reticle is able to turn for 180 degrees, and that took me at least 3 hours to set up.

Hello Dave,

The rotating reticle is a French innovation. It allows for a horizontal reticle grid no matter what the inter pupillary setting. The reticle is often removed, so you have a complete binocular.

Stay safe,
Arthur Pinewood

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back