• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Help! No 400mm F5.6 anywhere? (1 Viewer)

alexf

UK, India, Hungary
After reading about the 100-400 or 400 prime debates all over the place I decided to take the plunge and order the 400 prime today...but...no one has stock and they are all quoting 6 weeks! I can't wait that long, do they not understand that I MUST have it NOW lol

Any ideas where to try, i have tried bristol and london cameras, jessops, t4, station cameras and a few i cant even remember due to the severe stress?!

Alex

I bet it is going to be discontinued. Rumor has it of a new 400mm DO lens to be announced this month.

I would wait. How can you loose? If Canon release an updated 400 f/5.6 with IS (which would be a better choice for sure), either you buy one of those or else pick up a second-hand non-IS one from one of the many people who upgrade to the new model and you save a dollar. Or, if it is not being discontinued, you have nothing to worry about. Put your wallet in your pocket for a few weeks and see what happens.

Canon quoted a 6 week delivery 4 months ago. Its a joke! I got tired of waiting and went over to Sigma and I am very pleased I did.

psilo said:
Canon quoted a 6 week delivery 4 months ago. Its a joke! I got tired of waiting and went over to Sigma and I am very pleased I did.
Ah great, more research lol

my local camera shop had one in secondhand the other week, it may still be there.. might be worth calling them - 01362 693 506

Always worth a look at ebay, if you are comfortable enough. Ive seen them come and go for between £500-700 second hand. I may even sell mine there if a 400mm DO IS is launched ;)

alexf said:
After reading about the 100-400 or 400 prime debates all over the place I decided to take the plunge and order the 400 prime today...but...no one has stock and they are all quoting 6 weeks! I can't wait that long, do they not understand that I MUST have it NOW lol

Any ideas where to try, i have tried bristol and london cameras, jessops, t4, station cameras and a few i cant even remember due to the severe stress?!

Alex

The warehouse express website is showing them in stock.

Re a couple of the sugestions shown above: Both Park Cameras and Warehouse Express are also out of stock on this lens.

Rats! I've tried every company mentioned but they are all out of stock :-C

Any others?
(Thanks for the help so far)

Regards

Alex

Cheers Hillie,

Same story, I have tried over 20 companies today and no one has stock. To be honest, at this point I am quite dissapointed with Canon and their total lack of stock control.

alexf said:
Cheers Hillie,

Same story, I have tried over 20 companies today and no one has stock. To be honest, at this point I am quite disappointed with Canon and their total lack of stock control.

Sounds like they got it right to me. They simply sold their stock of the old model prior to the release of the replacement. Most people would be angry if they bought something just prior to a company announcing a new improved version.

If it is true about a new model it might be best to wait a while,as some people will trade up leaving a 2nd hand supply of the lens you want.

Steve.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back