• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Help, please! - Black Bird with Large White Half Moons on Wings (1 Viewer)

SuzanneLL

United States
Hi,

I just joined the forum because I saw a large black bird with white on the top of its wings when in flight & I can't figure out what it is.

I thought it would be fun to keep this thread going even longer!

Are the white markings what people are calling "half moon"? (See photos; also notice size of bird compared to leaves on trees & maybe white on its neck)

This bird was very fast and agile. I shot a video, but couldn't keep up with it.
Screenshot_20220525-201025_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20220525-201002_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20220525-200935_Gallery.jpg
It was seen in woodlands a few miles from a lake in eastern Pennsylvania.

It was on the ground when I surprised it as I was doing a video of another bird.

At first I thought it was a pileated woodpecker, but the markings are wrong.

Any ideas?

Hi,

I just joined the forum because I saw a large black bird with white on the top of its wings when in flight & I can't figure out what it is.

I thought it would be fun to keep this thread going even longer!

Are the white markings what people are calling "half moon"? (See photos; also notice size of bird compared to leaves on trees & maybe white on its neck)

This bird was very fast and agile. I shot a video, but couldn't keep up with it.
View attachment 1447952View attachment 1447953View attachment 1447954
It was seen in woodlands a few miles from a lake in eastern Pennsylvania.

It was on the ground when I surprised it as I was doing a video of another bird.

At first I thought it was a pileated woodpecker, but the markings are wrong.

Any ideas?
Sorry I canโ€™t work it out but I did want to wish you a warm welcome From those of us on staff here at BirdForum . Please join in wherever you like ๐Ÿ‘

Hi Suzanne and a warm welcome from me too.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I hope to hear about all the birds you see when out and about.

Pileated woodpecker, no question about it.
1) "large black bird with white wing markings, in Pennsylvania woods" leaves very few options. The photos and description allow us to infer some flight patterns that make most of the options very unlikely - e.g., an immature bald eagle isn't going to be described as "very fast and agile".
2) First photo shows wing pattern that is absolutely diagnostic.
3) You can make out the unusual head shape in the last photo.

Thanks for your welcomes & help identifying the bird.

I felt like it had to be a pileated woodpecker, but I don't usually see the top of their wings when flying, and these photos show more white than what I see in my books & in online photos.

I'm glad I was unsure & did some online searches, because it enabled me to find this forum, which I think I'll really enjoy!

The bird is a stunner for sure!!!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220526-193030_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20220526-193030_Samsung Internet.jpg
    521.4 KB · Views: 7
Red crest and white on face and neck. See the pic below for a comparison. The hunched shoulders, red crest, black and white. Location.

It is still a Pileated Woodpecker.

Attachments

• pileated.jpg
    pileated.jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 10
  • wwoodpecker.jpg
    wwoodpecker.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 9
Ratal's link in post #7 made me look twice, it appears to be a topside view of the bird, yet against a background of sky. Just an unusual angle I guess.

Ratal's link in post #7 made me look twice, it appears to be a topside view of the bird, yet against a background of sky. Just an unusual angle I guess.

As Butty pointed out in post #9, that photo shows the underside of the bird, which has a rather different color pattern from the topside. Also note the visible feet...

It is an unusual photo, in that the head is twisted down for some reason. Perhaps the bird wanted to keep an eye on the photographer?

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back