• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Help! - UK wader (1 Viewer)

Kev23

Woodlarks DO exist...
Probably the first of many queries...! Went to Cliffe Pools, North Kent Marshes (UK) Saturday; pretty miserable conditions, only a pair of kingfishers, a little egret and this wader of note... it was about 100m away (hence the poor quality!) and alone; the habitat was a secluded pool as opposed to the wide open estuary/main pools and it's uppers appeared almost black whereas the lower parts were mainly white. Size wise, smaller than a godwit, too big for a dunlin.. I'm going with a green sandpiper! I'm prepared to be corrected..

Cheers guys,

Kev

Attachments

• P1040753.jpg
    P1040753.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 244
  • Copy of P1040756.jpg
    Copy of P1040756.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 227
  • Copy of P1040766.jpg
    Copy of P1040766.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 298
Probably the first of many queries...! Went to Cliffe Pools, North Kent Marshes (UK) Saturday; pretty miserable conditions, only a pair of kingfishers, a little egret and this wader of note... it was about 100m away (hence the poor quality!) and alone; the habitat was a secluded pool as opposed to the wide open estuary/main pools and it's uppers appeared almost black whereas the lower parts were mainly white. Size wise, smaller than a godwit, too big for a dunlin.. I'm going with a green sandpiper! I'm prepared to be corrected..

Cheers guys,

Kev

Hi Kev

Its a Greenshank , Here are a couple of pics that should highlight the Plumage and Structural differences between the two Green wader Species ! I have found some right facing pictures so you can compare with yours.

Gsand.jpg

Green Sandpiper

Gshank.jpg

Greenshank

HTH

Si.

Hmm, in the last two pictures there is a hint of red legs? And the bill seems long, narrow and curved at it's end.
It's hard to tell from the pictures but my guess will be Spotted Redshank in a winter plumage.

Is it a Spotted Redshank? http://www.birdlist.co.uk/images/spottedredshank-30-12-06.jpg

The legs may be covered in muck, as in the attached pic, or it's just a dull day. Can't quite decide - bill looks a bit fine and the bird a bit pale for Greenshank.

It is colour-ringed too: white/red on left leg (can't see right leg).

on edit: it's probably one of these: http://www.greenshank.info/index.asp

Maybe send them the pics and see if they can work out who it is?

I'm not sure anyone's been colour-ringing Spotshanks, so this seems most likely.

Last edited:
Is it a Spotted Redshank? http://www.birdlist.co.uk/images/spottedredshank-30-12-06.jpg

The legs may be covered in muck, as in the attached pic, or it's just a dull day. Can't quite decide - bill looks a bit fine and the bird a bit pale for Greenshank.

It is colour-ringed too: white/red on left leg (can't see right leg).

It is 'Billy boy'.

The bird was rung at Kngsnorth Power Station last summer (August?) and it has been wintering at Cliffe.

I'll let you know what species it is after the ID discussion has developed a bit more...;)

The bird looks very black and white, with a nice pale forehead - looks like a classic winter plumage greenshank to me. Winter plumage spotshank would look more grey all over.

greenshank for me too. Apart from anything, the bill which appears slightly upturned (possibility of optical illusion?) rules out spotshank

It is 'Billy boy'.

The bird was rung at Kngsnorth Power Station last summer (August?) and it has been wintering at Cliffe.

I'll let you know what species it is after the ID discussion has developed a bit more...;)

My Money is still on Greenshank !!!!

Cheers

Si

PS No digs about a fool and his money please ;)

Gosh, not sure i'd get even one response.. I'm impressed! Seems to be a direct contest between a Greenshank or a spotted redshank.. I don't mind, as I've never spotted either actually! So, looking forward to discovering what "Billy Boy" really is!

Thanks to you all, especially those taking the time to find photos.. (if mine were that clear, i might not've suggested a green sandpiper!!)

Kev

Gosh, not sure i'd get even one response.. I'm impressed! Seems to be a direct contest between a Greenshank or a spotted redshank.. I don't mind, as I've never spotted either actually! So, looking forward to discovering what "Billy Boy" really is!

Thanks to you all, especially those taking the time to find photos.. (if mine were that clear, i might not've suggested a green sandpiper!!)

Kev

nah, I'm happy to go with Greenshank too.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back