• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Help wanted with CS2 (1 Viewer)

johnnybike

Today, I have achieved a long-held ambition, to photograph a kingfisher. I have got a lot of shots, which look OK ish. They were taken with a 400D and a 75-300 which does not seem to be able to use AF. It was raining and not perfect photographs but I think (Hope) there may be some scope for improving them.

I have experimented with Raw and CS2 and was wondering if an expert (or anybody better than me) could pick up the full sized image off a web site (via FTP) and do the business to see what is possible. Ideally I want a close up or equally to see what is the best on offer.

I will then post the results up and a link/comment on whoever has improved it.

Please let me know if anybody is interested and I will sort out a link to a page with Raw and jpg images on it

TIA

John

Thanks for uploading it. Although I get only one .CR2 file in the zip. The problem with getting the image sharper is that the point of focus is on the front edge of the group of reed mace. The kingfisher is actually not in focus. No amount of jigger poker can add detail that isn't recorded.

But saying that it is a good photograph, well exposed and well lit. I've reduced the noise a bit and a cropped it to get the bird in the magic spot, would make a nice desktop background.

Hope someone else can have a better stab.

Mono

Attachments

• KF.jpg
    KF.jpg
    134.9 KB · Views: 173
Only one CR2 file as well. Completely agree with Mono's findings. I've cropped mine slightly differently and also agree that it makes a very nice image of a Kingfisher in its natural habitat.

Paul

Edit. It's late forgot to say what I did!

Converted in Capture one le, processed in elements 4.

Crop, adjust levels, neat image, resize, Sharpen a bit, 'Save as'

Attachments

• BForum.jpg
    BForum.jpg
    184.9 KB · Views: 142
Last edited:
Thanks to all for looking. The fantastic photographs of Kingfishers that I have seen on here must have been taken a lot closer than I can get where I took my shot (Rodley NR, Leeds).

Would a 400mm lens have made any difference? I suspect not because it is only another 100mm

John

Here is two that I have had a play with. I used CS3, the first one I heavily cropped and put through picture cooler, the second on I cropped slightly and again put through picture cooler

Attachments

• IMG_0348.jpg
    IMG_0348.jpg
    183 KB · Views: 163
  • IMG_0348a.jpg
    IMG_0348a.jpg
    154.7 KB · Views: 105
First thanks for letting a Sony man compare a Canon raw file. (Helps keep my "I gotta go buy a Canon" fever at bay)
RAW to .tiff PS CS3
De noise - picture cooler 2
CS3
lens blur sharpen complete picture(lightly). 70,2.1,0
Quick mask to select bird(lasso tool would work but not as tight)
Gaussian Sharpen on bird only.
punch up color on background only
move lovely flower into crop area (clone stamp)
crop and save.

Attachments

• IMG_0348a.jpg
    IMG_0348a.jpg
    133.6 KB · Views: 116
Thanks to all re the assistance and advice. Sorry for the delay in responding, internet access and flooded houses have something to do with it.

I am very pleased with first image from Saphire (Christine) and all the rest are improvements on what I managed.

However it is dissapointing that I cannot get closer to where the Kingfishers are. I will always be shooting from a distance and whatever lens I used will have the same problems.

John

John, if only we could all afford a 600/4 lens!! 300mm is a little on the short side especially for birds as small as a Kingfisher, if its any consolation I use a 300 with a 1.4tc normally and even this can be a little short. Its horses for courses there are many times when I would have swapped my right leg for a longer lens but there are more times when I've found that I was thoroughly pleased with the results with what I've got.
Found that camouflage and sitting quietly for long periods helps;) ;) ;)

John. I thought I recognised the area, you just can't get close enough from the hide unless you have a BIG lens. The people who have tried to improve the image have done a good job.

Well I think this is an improvement on the original photo. A 170-500mm Sigma lens made the difference. I am sure there is more I can do to enhance the imahge but I am pretty pleased with it. (although it does look much darker when uploaded than it does on my PC)

Attachments

• kf1.jpg
    kf1.jpg
    118.3 KB · Views: 119
Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back