• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Help with baby bird (sour crop?) (UK) (1 Viewer)

thstmgs

United Kingdom
I found this baby bird near my back door (I've looked on Google and I think it's either a pigeon or a mourning dove) I've been feeding it for a few days and seemed to be doing well. Today I noticed his crop was very bloated, what can I do to help? (He's about 3/4 days old)

I found this baby bird near my back door (I've looked on Google and I think it's either a pigeon or a mourning dove) I've been feeding it for a few days and seemed to be doing well. Today I noticed his crop was very bloated, what can I do to help? (He's about 3/4 days old)

Attachments

• PXL_20230803_224100722.jpg
    PXL_20230803_224100722.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 18
Welcome to Birdforum.

Baby pigeons are fed regurgitated crop milk by both the male and female birds. This is regurgitated to the young birds within 2 hours of hatching for the first 4 days. After this, they will continue to be fed crop milk along with seeds for another 5 days. At around day 9, baby pigeons will have an adult diet brought to them which comprises of seeds, fruits and occasionally invertebrates.

The pigeon you are feeding could be struggling with the diet you are providing.

Though this is not a site for racing pigeon enthusiasts, there seem to be options out there if you google "pigeon milk substitute"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back