• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Help with Digiscoping Please (1 Viewer)

Sand Piperman

Canada
Hello again,
I am new to birdwatching up here in Nova Scotia Canada and i know i am going to really enjoy BirdForum. I am trying to digiscope with a Kowa TSN 883 and an Olympus OM-D-E-M10 Mark II. I have a Kowa TSN-PA7 Photo Adapter and a T mount from Fotodiox. When i attach this set up to my scope i get nothing in my EV. I am using the Auto Mode and have no idea what i am doing wrong. Any help would be much appreciated.
Thanks very much.

Hi Sand Piperman and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators.

I've moved your post to the dedicated Digiscoping forum, where the experts in this field will be more able to help you.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I look forward to hearing your news.

Hello again,
I am new to birdwatching up here in Nova Scotia Canada and i know i am going to really enjoy BirdForum. I am trying to digiscope with a Kowa TSN 883 and an Olympus OM-D-E-M10 Mark II. I have a Kowa TSN-PA7 Photo Adapter and a T mount from Fotodiox. When i attach this set up to my scope i get nothing in my EV. I am using the Auto Mode and have no idea what i am doing wrong. Any help would be much appreciated.
Thanks very much.

I'm not familiar with your scope and adapter, but know that with mirrorless cameras like yours you need to activate 'shoot without lens' in your camera's menus in order to use it without an autofocus lens. Sounds like you are effectively using the scope as a manual focus lens where there is no electronic coupling between the camera body and 'lens'. Might be worth a try.

I'm not familiar with your scope and adapter, but know that with mirrorless cameras like yours you need to activate 'shoot without lens' in your camera's menus in order to use it without an autofocus lens. Sounds like you are effectively using the scope as a manual focus lens where there is no electronic coupling between the camera body and 'lens'. Might be worth a try.
Thanks Steve,
That sounds about right. I just bought the camera off Ebay and it didn't come with a manual. I have gone over my menu and can't seem to find that setting. Any help with that problem would greatly be appreciated too.
Thanks.

Thanks Steve,
That sounds about right. I just bought the camera off Ebay and it didn't come with a manual. I have gone over my menu and can't seem to find that setting. Any help with that problem would greatly be appreciated too.
Thanks.
Sorry, I don't think that can be the issue with Olympus bodies. See: Is "shoot without lens" setting necessary on EM-10?: Micro Four Thirds Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review It seems Olympus automatically sense if a non-autofocus lens is in use. Not the case with Panasonic and Sony mirrorless bodies.

Maybe consider posting your question in the Olympus forum in the 'Cameras and Photography' section of this forum. Someone more familiar with these cameras might be able to help?

Sorry, I don't think that can be the issue with Olympus bodies. See: Is "shoot without lens" setting necessary on EM-10?: Micro Four Thirds Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review It seems Olympus automatically sense if a non-autofocus lens is in use. Not the case with Panasonic and Sony mirrorless bodies.

Maybe consider posting your question in the Olympus forum in the 'Cameras and Photography' section of this forum. Someone more familiar with these cameras might be able to help?
Thanks again Steve. I will keep trying and see where i end up. Will keep posting my results. Thanks again.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back