• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Help with nightjar ID (shot in Mexico) (1 Viewer)

I recently took this photo of a nightjar in the Yucatán Peninsula

I am having trouble deciding if it’s a Common Pauraque or a Yucatán Poorwill. I first ID’d it as a Common Pauraque because it was on the ground while the Yucatán Poorwill does not sit on the ground as often. Also because of the small white line below the eye. However, I noticed that its scapulars are gray with a line of black spots, just like those on the rarer Yucatán Poorwill. I can’t seem to find any images of Common Pauraques with scapulars like those, they are all blackish with buff edges, at least on all images I found from the subspecies found in the Yucatán Peninsula. I wasn’t able to have a clear view of the tip of the tail to see if it was entirely grayish (Common Pauraque) or with a white tip on the underside of the tail (Yucatan Poorwill).

Attachments

• 56141F28-A7AC-408D-B8E6-D9D5A6123E7F.jpeg
    56141F28-A7AC-408D-B8E6-D9D5A6123E7F.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 30
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back