• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hen Harriers go missing ... again (2 Viewers)

Hi Coronatus, I was basing my Eagle Owl remarks on a conversation with some Spanish birders. While examining the remains of prey at two nest sites near Malaga they found that harriers as well as dogs and cats made up part of the diet. Of course that does not prove that Eagle Owls take harriers in the UK, it only suggests that it may be a possibility.

James.

The fact remains that in areas of Europe where both Eagle Owl and Hen Harrier occur, there is no extinction issue. The British problem arises solely and completely from illegal persecution by an industry which in any other field of endeavour would be closed down until it could get its practices within the law.

Scum of the earth is the least of it.

John

Hi James,
That's why I started with 'perhaps'! Eagle Owls will take prey up to the size of Roe Deer. Folks in Bowland had signage warning them not to walk their dogs along the valley. But most prey is Rabbits.
But Harriers and other raptors have evolved over centuries so predation on each other has not wiped any out. Just that over developed pink ape.

John. Saw your post too late but we agree.

Last edited:
There's an article on owls predating other raptors (and vice versa) in 'BB' [URL="http://britishbirds.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/article_files/V69/V69_N04/V69_N04_P144_154_A030.pdf"[/URL] It doesn't actually list Hen Harrier amongst the raptors taken by Eagle Owl, but clearly they could easily do so and probably do.

However, even if Eagle Owls (raised from the dead Lazarus-like) were eating English Hen Harriers then one would expect females, sitting tight on the nest, to be more, rather than less, vulnerable than the males. This would apply equally to predation by foxes (which some apologists claim are responsible). Besides, if fox predation were such a problem for Hen Harriers one might expect them to be concentrated on heavily 'keepered estates rather than singularly absent from them. If it was disturbance by the 'watchers' (another favourite claim by the shooting camp) then this would more likely involve females disappearing and take place before young had hatched. It would also require an organisation, the RSPB, with a proven track record in protecting rare birds to have an uncharacteristic and near simultaneous multiple failure in its well established methodology. As has already been established for a male to suddenly desert a nest is extremely unlikely and for five to do so akin to being struck by lightning with that winning lottery ticket in your pocket just as you find Britain's first Black Woodpecker! The only viable explanation for multiple males to selectively go missing just as they range further afield to feed nestlings is that they have been deliberately targeted by human agents. Add to this the well established animus against birds of prey in general (and this species in particular) amongst a significant number of gamekeepers/shooting interests (cf calls for protection to be lifted, applications for licences to destroy protected birds, displays of 'vermin' inc. raptors at game fairs, a catalog of court cases, acknowledged 'traditions', etc) removes little doubt that deliberate persecution is the most likely reason for recent events. The only reason for not accepting this overwhelming probability is either ignorance or self interest. So which is it 'bgr'?

<just as you find Britain's first Black Woodpecker!> with my luck it would be an escape and hand tame after being lured to camera with a bag of Cashew Nuts!

Bearing in mind Male Harriers can service several females on eggs the loss of the males is a sure fire way of wiping out more than the shot bird.

<just as you find Britain's first Black Woodpecker!> with my luck it would be an escape and hand tame after being lured to camera with a bag of Cashew Nuts!

Bearing in mind Male Harriers can service several females on eggs the loss of the males is a sure fire way of wiping out more than the shot bird.
........... and surrounding the eggs with a bag of ice cubes apparently.

These are the depths these low life and scum will sink to maintain a lucrative industry enjoyed by blood thirsty fools.

Oops, it was certainly not my intention to deflect the finger of shame away from the likely culprits. It was a rather clumsy attempt to illustrate that a balanced and functioning natural ecosystem has a way of regulating species numbers without illegal human interference. Those other creatures that get short shrift around hunting estates, mammalian predators and corvids could also help to control ground nesting raptors (not that the tiny population requires it) but of course the shooting fraternity with its apologists and propagandists have no interest in maintaining a natural balance.

I'm firmly of the belief that recreational killing should be consigned to the past with such other wholesome pastimes as bear baiting, cock fighting and hopefully, fox hunting. Sadly it is extremely unlikely to happen given how deeply the members of the shooting fraternity are embedded within the establishment but we must hope for a change before the matter becomes irrelevant.

James.

' Sadly it is extremely unlikely to happen given how deeply the members of the shooting fraternity are embedded within the establishment' says string boozel
You only how ' Lord' Sewel a member of the establishment was carrying on to understand what you are up against.
These lot live in another world, which most of us will never be part of, or understand.

A balanced,sensible article in today's Sunday Times about breeding Hen Harriers in England.
Ian Botham's provocative organisation is treated with the contempt it deserves.
Well worth a read

Last edited:
Most interesting. I had long suspected there was intra island traffic but this was just a hunch. Now thanks to this I know and it can account for a reduction in 'our' Harriers numbers over the last few years when we know there is no persecution here. So those Ba$tard$ in UK are killing my Harriers too.

<I'm not sure if that's good news or bad.....>
Good that we now know that the problem is a British Isles one and not just "English".
Bad that our Reservoir of breeding pairs are not immune to those ****s that hopefully had a rotten day yesterday.

I'm not sure if that's good news or bad.....

John

Bad. A large proportion of hen harrier breeding sites were torched by farmers this Spring. Two winter roosts in kerry were destroyed. All birds there missing. One bird was found. A satellite tagged bird called Heather was found shot.
Strong pressure from farmers to end ban of forestry in SAC areas. Most government politicians want the ban lifted. Most of the SAC's for harriers are under dense mature sites spruce plantations. Ireland is a country full of inbred anti wildlife scum.

Bad. A large proportion of hen harrier breeding sites were torched by farmers this Spring. Two winter roosts in kerry were destroyed. All birds there missing. One bird was found. A satellite tagged bird called Heather was found shot.
Strong pressure from farmers to end ban of forestry in SAC areas. Most government politicians want the ban lifted. Most of the SAC's for harriers are under dense mature sites spruce plantations. Ireland is a country full of inbred anti wildlife scum.

Phew. I'm glad its you that said that and not me.... ;)

Sympathy!

John

The Daily Telegraph today carried the following apology on its website (and should do so in the paper today or soon):
"CORRECTION: An earlier version of this report stated that the RSPB was “expected to come under fire” from Natural England in a forthcoming report about hen harrier nests. The information on which this conjecture was based came from a single source and was not checked with Natural England. We accept that further enquiries might have revealed this and that our article was misleading. Although the RSPB was involved in guarding all six nests that failed, we understand that – contrary to what was stated in the original version of the article – it was also involved with three of the six successful ones. We have amended the article accordingly and we apologise for the error".. Gratifying for those who, like me, complained to IPSO about this blatantly misleading report, but then this was such a glaring abuse that they had little option under their own rules. Let's not forget that they'll not miss a chance to present an unbalanced picture if they think that they can get away with it.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back