• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Here is another mystery (1 Viewer)

Pablo1508

Australia
Hello all, I've just joined and had a mystery of a Channel-billed cuckoo solved . Thanks to all who replied Here is another mystery, a couple of weeks ago I saw some sort of bird of prey with a small turtle dove, in my back yard , just a few meters from my back door. The weird thing is I live in inner west Sydney and have never seen anything like it. 50 years ago the only birds here were predominantly sparrows and pigeons, these days there are lots more. Any ideas on what this bird is and what is it doing in Burwood? Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_4364.jpg
    IMG_4364.jpg
    946.3 KB · Views: 76
Questions in order...
1. It's either a collared sparrowhawk or a brown goshawk (they're annoyingly similar).
2. It's having its dinner (they live right across Australia - which, I guess, is the Sydney you're talking about).

Questions in order...
1. It's either a collared sparrowhawk or a brown goshawk (they're annoyingly similar).
2. It's having its dinner (they live right across Australia - which, I guess, is the Sydney you're talking about).
Thanks, Yes Sydney Australia, I forgot about international members

I'd veer slightly towards Collared Sparrowhawk, on the basis of apparent slight build/fairly small size, including head, and seemingly pale barring on the breast, although that might not be a great diagnostic feature.

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back