• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Heron using bread as bait (for luring a fish)!!! (1 Viewer)

I think its a Striated Heron - also called Green Heron I think.
There was a thread on the Northern Territory yahoo group about one in Darwin doing this.

That is just soooo clever. I'm so glad his persistence paid of in the end.

I agree with Simon, so I'll move the thread to the Behaviour forum.

Thanks for posting this Cristian.

On two different occasions this summer I saw a green heron catch an insect and then use it as bait to catch a fish. It was really incredible to watch. I have never seen any similar behavior from Great Blue Herons, and I see them much more often, so it seems like maybe this behavior is unique to butorides.

Last edited:
Excellent, there was a similar one shown on You Have Been Framed previously so it might be more common than we think. Notice it didn't let the bread stray too far out of reach.

It's a common thing for Green / Striated Heron to use bait to lure fish. I saw one at Sepilok Laut try it with Mangrove leaves + when small fish sheltered under it - bang. It used the same leaf half a dozen times + caught a fish each time. There are cases of other species of small Heron doing it as well.

Chris

Here's an ID challenge. Can anyone ID the bird on the right of screen at the end of the clip? :king:

On two different occasions this summer I saw a green heron catch an insect and then use it as bait to catch a fish. It was really incredible to watch. I have never seen any similar behavior from Great Blue Herons, and I see them much more often, so it seems like maybe this behavior is unique to butorides.

I saw the same in Reno a few years ago. The bait was a large green grasshopper about two inches long which the Green Heron captured in the vegetation near where it was standing on the edge of a small pond. Before dropping it in the water for the first time the heron pulled the legs off, presumably to immobilize it. Green Herons are quite uncommon in Reno and I've always felt it was a very lucky thing to have seen.

Last edited:
just goes to show "birdbrain" is really a compliment - animal intelligence never ceases to amaze me, maybe because we assume animals being lower on the evolutionary totem pole are inferior in intelligence.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back