• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Herons (1 Viewer)

facet

United Kingdom
Hi,

i'm now to Yorkshire and to this community.

What are the best places to spot a Heron and what time of year?

thanks

Hi there Facet, welcome to Birdforum, you don't say whereabouts in the county you are but seeing a heron shouldn't be too difficult. Head for any large stretch of water that has shallow edges and preferably some scrubby grassland around it. Heron's feed by hunting in the shallows and in the grass so that is going to help you. Almost any of the nature reserves in the county that have large areas of open water will have heron on them at times. If you have neighbours with fishponds, even quite tiny ones, an early morning scan of the skies can often find herons in the air either going to or coming from the pond, I have heron on my garden list from doing just that.

Sheffield Isnt too far from the Rother Valley Country Park, you should see them there. Going North you could try RSPB Old Moor or Potteric Carr for them.

Thank you! Do you happen to know anywhere near Wakefield? Going there for a day out soon
Pugney's Country Park is just off the M1 at junction 39, the A636 goes straight into Wakefield. Take the third exit at the second roundabout after leaving the motorway, for the country park. There is a small nature reaserve there with a hide.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back