• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hey y'all! Just wondering if anyone has been to Pea Island recently? (4 Viewers)

molly33

United States
If you've been to Pea Island Nature reserve recently I'd love a heads-up on what you saw! I am planning on going with hopes to see the tundra swans and any other migratory waterfowl, so if you have news on that, it'd be appreciated! Also any tips for where the best viewing is, especially for amateur photography, and where the most species will be. Last thing, is Alligator River Refuge worth the visit since I'll be down there? I've been, but never for birding.

Hi Molly and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators.

I see Pea Island is part of the Outer Banks, and although not mentioned specifically, we do have an Opus Article for the area: Outer Banks - BirdForum Opus which might prove helpful. So please do report back after your visit, as any information you provide can be added to the page.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I look forward to hearing your news.

If you've been to Pea Island Nature reserve recently I'd love a heads-up on what you saw! I am planning on going with hopes to see the tundra swans and any other migratory waterfowl, so if you have news on that, it'd be appreciated! Also any tips for where the best viewing is, especially for amateur photography, and where the most species will be. Last thing, is Alligator River Refuge worth the visit since I'll be down there? I've been, but never for birding.
I have just the contact for you, Molly. She leads bird walks on Fridays at Pea Island and has first hand info on Alligator River and the rest of the Outer Banks area. I’ll send you a PM with the info.
You could also call the Pea Island Visitor Center 252-987-2394.

Steve

Google search for Pea Island National Wildlife Refuge.

I gave you the link to a Google search I did for the Pea Island National Wildlife Refuge as opposed to specific sites. There was simply too much information on that search to choose, so I thought better for you to be able to see what all it turned up and make your own choice. There are a number of agencies represented there.

Another suggestion for you. North Carolina has a long-distance trail called Mountains to Sea Trail that stretches from near Cherokee in the western portion of the state to the eastern terminus at Jockey's Ridge State Park in the east. According to Google Maps, Jockey's Ridge Park is roughly 30 minutes north of Pea Island National Wildlife Refuge. It would be a nice drive up from Pea Island. The trail can be accessed in segments to choose the length and portion you want to try. There are sections through natural areas west of where you would be that would give you a chance to bird in a natural setting. There is a group called "Friends of the Mountains to Sea Trail" that has a website with a lot of maps and information, should you be interested. Follow this link for their site.

I have just the contact for you, Molly. She leads bird walks on Fridays at Pea Island and has first hand info on Alligator River and the rest of the Outer Banks area. I’ll send you a PM with the info.
You could also call the Pea Island Visitor Center 252-987-2394.

Steve
Thank you so much!

Google search for Pea Island National Wildlife Refuge.

I gave you the link to a Google search I did for the Pea Island National Wildlife Refuge as opposed to specific sites. There was simply too much information on that search to choose, so I thought better for you to be able to see what all it turned up and make your own choice. There are a number of agencies represented there.
thanks, I've already checked their website a few times but was looking for up to date information as well!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back