• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hoary or Common redpoll? - Sax-Zim Bog, MN (1 Viewer)

esrpiano

I saw this bird among a large flock of Common Redpolls today at 11:30am visiting feeders in the Sax-Zim Bog in Minnesota (specifically at the entrance of the Bob Russell Memorial Boardwalk).

Can anyone help me distinguish if this is a particularly pale Common, or could it be a Hoary? 1-2 Hoarys have been Ebird reported almost daily at this spot for the past few weeks and another birder reported one at the same location while I was photographing, but I'm still unsure and not sold from these pictures....

Any thoughts or help would be appreciated! Thanks!

Attachments

• DSCN2410.JPG
    DSCN2410.JPG
    3.3 MB · Views: 57
  • DSCN2411.JPG
    DSCN2411.JPG
    3.5 MB · Views: 59
  • DSCN2412.JPG
    DSCN2412.JPG
    3.5 MB · Views: 60
  • DSCN2413.JPG
    DSCN2413.JPG
    3.4 MB · Views: 51
  • DSCN2414.JPG
    DSCN2414.JPG
    3.4 MB · Views: 55
I’ve never seen one, but based on photos I would also say Hoary Redpoll

You might find this link interesting, it seems to be a remarkable influx this winter in North America:

Thanks for this. The images there underline the overlaps in the appearance of the various forms for me. It makes the finding that there's little genetic difference between them less surprising.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back