• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Holger’s Binocular Book - in English in 2023! (1 Viewer)

Tripling the price over the previous version is steep. It is a hardback which explains some of the difference, but it’s more than I’d have hoped/expected.

Peter

Tripling the price over the previous version is steep. It is a hardback which explains some of the difference, but it’s more than I’d have hoped/expected.

Peter
Perhaps it's the major publisher (Springer) setting the price? I nice weighty paperback edition would be nice...

Perhaps it's the major publisher (Springer) setting the price? I nice weighty paperback edition would be nice...

Exactly, I was shocked when I learned last week about the price tag that Springer has set for my book. This is obviously an edition for libraries and I am now negotiating with them to have a softcover edition, too, at a significantly lower price. Almost at the same time, Neil English's nice book
Choosing & Using Binoculars is going to be introduced by Springer, and here the price is going to be far more friendly ...

Cheers,
Holger

I went to my local library and asked them if they could purchase a copy (cost £110 and due out in November).
As an expensive non-fiction book they said there's only a 25% chance of it being bought.
Fingers crossed.

I (we've) been waiting for so long and I'm really looking forward to reading this book! My reading tastes generally run to textbooks, and $139 is steep even for a textbook of this size but Springer hardcover books really are top notch. At $50, I think this book would be a steal and I'm really looking forward to it .

Two very important questions :
1) Anyone agree (or perhaps it's obvious and/or intentional) that Holger's picture on his homepage looks like a youthful Vito Cornelius? (jealous).
2) If indeed the book becomes available for a very reasonable price, does that mean we'll then be disqualified from asking naff questions here? (making the most of borrowed time).

The Amazon UK price does look very good; hopefully the Amazon US site will match that soon 🤞.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back