• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Holiday Plans. (1 Viewer)

Kenny

Natural Magic
Blackpool North this year for us, I was wondering if anyone could put us up? Only joking, but I'm curious to hear of any interesting birding places to visit. Not really interested in the squashed-chip pinching gulls along the prom, although they are still birds of course. I admire birds whatever their doing because they have the gift of flight. Info on boot sales and markets by private msg :)

I can certainly reccomend a trip up to Leighton Moss reserve - not a "secret" place but a very enjoable day out.

I see you're a new-ish poster, Kenny, so in case you haven't received it yet, here's a welcome from the Admin and Mods of Birdforum.net! We're pleased to have you with us.

As you can see, any question posted here gets a pretty quick answer -- and not just about travel plans.

Hope you enjoy your time on the forum, and your time in Blackpool. Let us know how things go, OK?

Kenny,

Have a look at my website for seawatching ideas:

http://starrgate.mysite.freeserve.com/

The Fylde coastline can be productive depending on when you come. Also nearby Marton Mere is in Blackpool, check the following Council webpage for details:

http://www.blackpool.gov.uk/a2z/services/template.asp?service_id=295

Leighton Moss is the flagship reserve in the area, but with the Ribble estuary and southern Morecambe Bay you don't really need to leave the Fylde for rewarding birding.

Stephen.

Lots of info there thank you I have saved the web links in my favorites and I will scour them thoroughly. (slowly finding my way around the forum, will try to post in correct places).

Kenny said:
Blackpool North this year for us, I was wondering if anyone could put us up? Only joking, but I'm curious to hear of any interesting birding places to visit. Not really interested in the squashed-chip pinching gulls along the prom, although they are still birds of course. I admire birds whatever their doing because they have the gift of flight. Info on boot sales and markets by private msg :)

Hi
The places mentioned are all worth a visit Marton Mere Is worth a visit for bittern and good roosts of Long eared Owl in winter. Also a walk along the prom at Morcambe for waders then onto Leighton Moss for a second chance of Bittern and Beardies Marsh Harrier etc. If you want you are welcome to contact me and I can arrange a weekend day Sat or Sun to show you around no problem.
regards
John

The other members have pretty much covered the north of Blackpool with notable ommisions such as Bolton le Sands and Heysham Power station outfall.

Going south of Blackpool you have the southern end of Lytham St Annes and south of the River Ribble look for Banks, Marshside (at the north edge of Southport) and going into Liverpool you have the coastline stretching past Formby and through Crosby culminating at the reserve at Seaforth docks. Inland you have the WWT reserve at Martin Mere, near to Burscough Bridge, (not Marton Mere which is close to Blackpool) and due east you have the beautiful Bowland Forest / Moor area to explore.

Certainly plenty to go for. When are you going and how long for?

Plenty to be getting on with so thank you to all for replying. Two weeks in July will not be long enough to do everything. Discovering a Bittern is gonna be high on my priority list.

Kenny,

In terms of seabirds July is a good month for Manx Shearwaters, there should be pleny of terns also. It is a good time for passage waders, try the RSPB hides overlooking the lagoon about a mile from Leighton Moss visitor centre (but not part of the main reserve).

Bitterns aren't easy at that time of year, but if they are successful in raising young you would have a better chance.

Stephen.

Kenny,the South Cumbrian coast is only a couple of hours drive.There is our local Hodbarrow reserve,with it's large and varied collection of waders,I don't know if the breeding terns will still be there,there are lots of Herons,some of which are very close to the waters edge,also lots of flors and fauna,inc the Natterjack toad,then there is St Bees further up the coast,where black guillemots are regularly spotted.
There is also a seal colony of Walney Island who in the warm weather often come very close onto the sandbanks here in the harbour.
Christine

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back