• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Holiday suggestions - UK migration? (1 Viewer)

Moadib

Thanks to 'covid', my wife and I have many, many hours of holiday which we have to use, but are a bit restricted in when we can use. Only real time is in September, either 12th - 19th, or 19th - 26th (can go a little either side).

Any suggestions on where would be good options to chill out, read some books, and some chance of enjoying migrating birds? We're Edinburgh area, and would prefer to avoid the run right down south, but no issue to go Midlands, north of Scotland. We thought about Shetland, but not sure how the islands are with visitors at the minute.

Spurn migfest (although cancelled this year) is often just before then, so we wondered about that area.

Any suggestions very welcome. We've basically worked right through from March, so really looking forward to a break and some birding!

If you're looking to travel not too far then for migration in September my vote would be for Spurn or the nearby coastal areas. But it could be hit or miss, not just for the weather but the forecast that this dreadful virus is due to spike again. Scillies is ideal for chilling, if you can get flights from Edinburgh > Exeter> St. Mary's.

Good luck.

Last edited:
Thanks very much.
It's a good point - I very much doubt we will have see a second mortality spike, but there is a high chance the government will react to case numbers (as we're seeing around the country), and we get stuck somewhere!
With flights no doubt even less pleasant than they were before this outbreak I'm less keen on flying, so Spurn seems like it might be a good option.
If any other suggestions would be great to hear.

Either the Yorkshire coast - any of it between Whitby and Spurn - or else north Norfolk for fairly easy birding with lots of people finding and reporting stuff. Great time of year. Possibly might match a pelagic trip if you opt for Yorkshire.

Or the west coast of Scotland if you decide to stay nearer home. Maybe try the Outer Hebrides, which would be a very different style to my earlier suggestions with you finding things yourself.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back