• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Honey Buzzard? Just outside Paris, France - 26 May 2023 (1 Viewer)

pjacobs

United States
I saw this raptor this morning as it was soaring in the distance. The pictures aren't great. My initial thought was just another common buzzard so I hestiated to even snap a photo, but this one seemed a little bit off. The tail seemed too long and the overall shape didn't feel like a buzzard (to this novice). In the photos it seems to be lacking a breast band and I think I can make out a faint mid-tail bar, which all seems right for the Honey Buzzard. But like I said, this one was far off and I've never seen a Honey Buzzard, so not a lot of confidence in this one.

Any thoughts from the crowd?

unk_raptor_crop3.JPG

unk_raptor_crop1.JPG
unk_raptor_crop3.JPG
unk_raptor_crop2.JPG

I saw this raptor this morning as it was soaring in the distance. The pictures aren't great. My initial thought was just another common buzzard so I hestiated to even snap a photo, but this one seemed a little bit off. The tail seemed too long and the overall shape didn't feel like a buzzard (to this novice). In the photos it seems to be lacking a breast band and I think I can make out a faint mid-tail bar, which all seems right for the Honey Buzzard. But like I said, this one was far off and I've never seen a Honey Buzzard, so not a lot of confidence in this one.

Any thoughts from the crowd?

View attachment 1512212

View attachment 1512214
View attachment 1512213
View attachment 1512215
Hi. A total shot in the dark, but all I can think of is, either, a dark morph Booted Eagle or a juvenile Black kite??????????

Users who are viewing this thread

Back