• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Third and last lousy photo - duck ID help needed, Pokhara, Nepal, Nov 28, 2023 (1 Viewer)

bhutjoe

Hi, attached are the last set of lousy photos in a request for an ID. Perhaps only the middle second one is useful as it almost looks like there must be 2 birds in the 1st and 3rd photos given how long the bird looks in them.
The photos were taken in the Phewa Lake wetlands, just outside Pokhara, Nepal on Nov 28, 2023.
What strikes me as useful is the rump/tail (almost like a shortened Ruddy Duck tail in how straight it seems), an apparent light side/body between darker rump and breast/belly, and a darker (maybe reddish) head, and no white on the rump.
Given these structural features I was thinking Eurasian Widgeon. Does this seem correct or am I wrong (again:)).
Any and all comments, criticisms or advice most assuredly welcomed.
thank you in advance
steve

Attachments

• fullsizeoutput_1c40.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_1c40.jpeg
    887.5 KB · Views: 55
  • fullsizeoutput_1c3f.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_1c3f.jpeg
    854.9 KB · Views: 55
  • DSCN7513.JPG
    DSCN7513.JPG
    3.3 MB · Views: 56
Thank you Daniel, much appreciated. Likely a Great Cormorant then as I had observed quite a few of them from much closer but at a different spot.
steve

Lol Butty, I would agree, but after posting 2 other photos that I thought were quite poor and having received positive id's I thought what the heck and try this set:) But i agree birding would be much more productive then wasting much time on these. Advice taken.
Much appreciated
steve

Hi Steve, I'm not sure that the images show sufficient detail to get a positive identification, but "513" appears to show a Cormorant spp. drying its wings.
With the caveat that I'm viewing on my phone, there is a 'suggestion' of cormorant sp. in all of these images.
Preening its rear-end nearest to the camera in the first one (1c40) and preening the opposite side of its body in the second (1c3f), which is actually the least useful of the three images.
The third one appears to show, as dwatsonbirder has said, a wing-drying cormorant.
Conversely, this may all be wishful thinking.

Thanks Wheaterip, I believe you are correct. I was wondering in particular about the duck swimming in front of them and whether its structure was unique enough to ID it. Sorry for the lack of clarity.
Much appreciated
steve

I can see the duck concerned, and if these were my first views, I’d be considering Wigeon, but I can’t be sure whether this is just based on some features which are actually just photographic artifacts.

Thank you for taking the time to look and comment. I think i will follow Butty's advice and just bin this photo:) I am always amazed at what commentators, such as yourself with the Northern Lapwing, can see in a quite poor photo. But of course, that cannot be done for every poor photo:)
thank again
steve

Lol Butty, I would agree, but after posting 2 other photos that I thought were quite poor and having received positive id's I thought what the heck and try this set:) But i agree birding would be much more productive then wasting much time on these. Advice taken.
Much appreciated
steve
Yes, it is amazing how some of the people here are able to ID birds. I have had a lot of help with embarrassing pictures. Some of them so poor they have thought that I had made a home-made bird.

I have had a lot of help here and many times the birdforum members have saved my day many times. I used to support the forum but that option is no longer available as I cannot use Pay Pal

Kind Regards and Happy Birding
Aladdin

Users who are viewing this thread

Back