• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

House Martins in Cornwall today (1 Viewer)

Seamoor

Went to Par Sands Cornwall Nr. to St. Austell, today, and they have a pond there with Swans Ducks, geese etc. I was amazed to see about 10 house martins skimming across the pond, this was about 4.30 this afternoon. Normally we do not see them where I live until Mid April. My husband could not believe it either. Especially as we left we have a real nasty Hail Shower which lasted for quite some time.

Is this early for them.

Last edited:
Did they play 'Happy hour again'?
I don't know of any other house martins yet, but I know sand martins have started arriving lately.

necrodeath-head said:
Would the cold weather kill them?

probably not. if they can winter (i.e. reports from december/jan in recent years), then no reason why a bit of fairly cool weather wont do them much harm - its not as if this recent weather has been a prolonged freeze with lots of snow on the ground.

Just last week there was a huge hatch of midges here in south Lincs - plenty of food knocking about, just need sheltered spots where the insects can escape the wind I guess.

Excellent - I`ve just been reporting a solo House Martin I spotted in West Lothian last Friday which I was concerned about, but now all my fears are put to rest - however, it is a little colder up here in Scotland.

Par Sands - Lovely site (with exception to the factory station)- I visited there last year in April and was fortunate enough to have really close up views of a Little Egret in the pond you mentioned - keep your eyes peeled.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back