• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

how do you cope with cattle! (1 Viewer)

Bills' ecky thump didn't stop a milking cow from having a pee over him at a farm near me.(year or so ago,on morning tv i think).

Definately keep clear of the bulls,always told this and that's from farming relations, drilled into me when a boy.Know of plenty old farmhands who've been caught out by the sly old buggers (bulls,not my family).

What an educational thread!...young bulls indeed. It certainly makes your pulse race when they all charge over 'en masse' to have a look at you.
At least birders can use their binoculars to checkout the cattle a bit closer for that 'docile bull' Geoff refers to.

lark o'dell said:
tip just walk strait thre them and if your scard of dogs just go down to there level and then play with them after that just walk away from them.
I did the same-went down to there level and played with the dog butTHE 2ND ONE BIT ME IN THE REAR I sued the dog owner and i lost-the dog was called to court and asked DID YOU BIT THIS MAN (if yes the dog was supposed to WOOF ONCE and if -NO- WOOF TWICE The dog WOOFED TWICE You are under oath you know but dog dog still WOOF TWICE.A dog expert was called in and he spoke to the dog in his WOOFING language and then went over to the judge and whispered in his ear -the judge dismissed the case.But i got up said ; but your honour what did the dog say,the judge looked at me and said -the dog say's heBIT A BEAR 3:) 3:)Moral of the story..DONT TURN YOUR BACK TO ANIMALS AND MAN--THERE IS ALWAYS A ROGUE AMONG THEM

Last edited:
Does anybody know if this is true: bulls of beef breeds are docile, bulls of milk breeds are aggressive? Or is it the other way around?

Mark

MarkA said:
Does anybody know if this is true: bulls of beef breeds are docile, bulls of milk breeds are aggressive? Or is it the other way around?

Mark

I think, generally, but don't rely on it!

Bulls out on the hills with their 'girls' most of the time are generally pretty settled but never walk between him and his girlfriends!

I used to take treks and followed this rule - had one or two moments though. I think they felt less threatened as we were on horseback.

Once we were on the hill and I was searching for the bull but couldn't see him anywhere. We were on the track when suddenly out of the ditch right beside us he stood up! :eek!: Looked at us and watched us walk away. Bit hairy that for a moment.

D

MarkA said:

Mark

I think that's right, speaking generally. Jersey and Guernsey bulls might be smaller than average, but they do have the reputation of being more aggressive than some others.

I was told by a farmer that the most dangerous animals on farms are potentially horses.

level seven said:
I think that's right, speaking generally. Jersey and Guernsey bulls might be smaller than average, but they do have the reputation of being more aggressive than some others.

I was told by a farmer that the most dangerous animals on farms are potentially horses.

Yes, and freisans deserve thier feirsome reputation.

I remember as a child helping my cousins move the hereford bull (massive, but docile) from the top fields down to the farmhouse. There was me, knee high to an orthopteran walking beind 2.5 tonnes of prime beef on the bone, whacking it with a hazel twig and shouting away. It knew exactly where it was going and was prepared to put up with the minor irritation that was following it, as none of the other cattle seemed to mind it.
The next day the same bull walked straight through three five-bar gates, to get to a field with a cow in season in it. I fear he would not have looked so acceptingly upon me then.
Jim

Ranger James said:
Yes, and freisans deserve thier feirsome reputation.

I remember as a child helping my cousins move the hereford bull (massive, but docile) from the top fields down to the farmhouse. There was me, knee high to an orthopteran walking beind 2.5 tonnes of prime beef on the bone, whacking it with a hazel twig and shouting away. It knew exactly where it was going and was prepared to put up with the minor irritation that was following it, as none of the other cattle seemed to mind it.
The next day the same bull walked straight through three five-bar gates, to get to a field with a cow in season in it. I fear he would not have looked so acceptingly upon me then.
Jim

You're right about Fieisians James, I think most Friesian bulls are kept penned up as they're too dangerous to allow out. Some years ago I was lamping rabbits on the isle of Aran when a Friesian bull came hurtling across a field towards us - fortunately there was a sturdy fence between us! The bull followed us down the field, pawing the ground, tossing his head and bellowing, generally looking a bit miffed! I had my cousin with me at the time who was about eight and he was terrified, eventually bursting into tears he was so scared. So I turned and headed away from the bull. Later in the night I found myself on the opposit side of the bull's field and once again he flew down to confront us. Quite why he reacted as he did I'm not sure. I've been around cattle all my life and have never seen a bull quite so intent on doing me harm.

saluki

delia todd said:
The cattle that come running towards you are usually young heifers - very inquisitive. As Lark said try and just walk through them. Carry a walking stick and wave it about if necessary - you don't need to hit them with it, though a tap on the rump can work wonders.

It's cows with calves you really have to watch - have a look about and make sure you don't walk between mother and calf.

I don't have a problem with dogs so not able to help you much except try not to make eye contact and keep walking.

Ken, my friend is terrified of anything with horns, teeth and stings. We have had to abort no end of walks due to this.

Have you tried giving Ken a tap on the rump with a walking stick,Delia?

Ray

rayl said:
Have you tried giving Ken a tap on the rump with a walking stick,Delia?

Ray

LOL :clap: :clap:

I've come close many times Ray, but he always walks behind me!

D

Tim Allwood said:
Ya big girl

Tim

I'd have laughed at this thread too, a fortnight ago...
But a discussion about this subject on Radio 2 this week has changed my opinion.
A guy on a cycle ride had followed his 2 young children past a field of cows, giving them a wide bearth, but suddenly he was knocked to the ground from behind & gored & trampled by the cow (not bull), smashing him up, breaking ribs & puncturing a lung. He was only rescued when some walkers passing by interveined.
Apparently if it had been the kids they would not have survived.
It also stated a woman was killed in Uk by cattle last year while walking her dog.

The most frightening experience i had was returning from owling on a dark over cast night, when in the middle of a large field i became aware of a thunderous noise....
......about a dozen heavy horses, shires & welsh cobs came charging at me, i quickly slipped my collie x lurcher and loopy Boxer dog off their leads & realy sprinted 30metres to a barb wired Hawthorn hedge.
The lurcher was wise & got clean away, poor Boxer got trampled before i could throw her on top of the hedge!
Had the field boundary been any further, i dread to think.
Absolutely terrifying even thoug at the time i was working on a horse racing yard...

It was suggested that the Cow may have recently had her calf taken from her..
I suggest a nice length of blue alcatheyne pipe is part of every birders kit ;-)
SE.

Last edited:
level seven said:

Yes, Graham - I'm inclined to agree with him. As I said I used to have horses but would NEVER enter a field of unknown horses unless the owner was present.

One of the problems is that people will feed them, so they come charging over, and some can get a bit nasty if you don't give them a tit bit. If you do then they start fighting with each other and you get in the way.

Catch 22.

D

StevieEvans said:
I'd have laughed at this thread too, a fortnight ago...
But a discussion about this subject on Radio 2 this week has changed my opinion.
A guy on a cycle ride had followed his 2 young children past a field of cows, giving them a wide bearth, but suddenly he was knocked to the ground from behind & gored & trampled by the cow (not bull), smashing him up, breaking ribs & puncturing a lung. He was only rescued when some walkers passing by interveined.
Apparently if it had been the kids they would not have survived.
It also stated a woman was killed in Uk by cattle last year while walking her dog.

The most frightening experience i had was returning from owling on a dark over cast night, when in the middle of a large field i became aware of a thunderous noise....
......about a dozen heavy horses, shires & welsh cobs came charging at me, i quickly slipped my collie x lurcher and loopy Boxer dog off their leads & realy sprinted 30metres to a barb wired Hawthorn hedge.
The lurcher was wise & got clean away, poor Boxer got trampled before i could throw her on top of the hedge!
Had the field boundary been any further, i dread to think.
Absolutely terrifying even thoug at the time i was working on a horse racing yard...

It was suggested that the Cow may have recently had her calf taken from her..
I suggest a nice length of blue alcatheyne pipe is part of every birders kit ;-)
SE.

Following my experience... I am not at all surprised that some poor soul has been killed by rampaging cattle.
Possibly the lady concerned put herself at risk by walking her dog near cattle with calves... more than likely she had no idea of the danger involved in doing so?...I mean you get plenty of advice when walking across farmland about closing gates after you, keeping dogs from worrying livestock etc. and quite right too!... Maybe I'm uninformed here, but other than being advised to be wary of bulls when crossing farmland I've heard almost zilch about cows seriously hurting people, which from time to time... they obviously do.

Don't want to appear alarmist here as incidents like the above are undoubtedly quite rare....But I think stevie gives good advice in reccomending that every birder carry a nice length of blue(or black should you prefer) alcatheyne pipe. As for me, I'm armed with a 20 year old piece of nutstick which has been soaked in vinegar for a fortnight and hardened off in the oven(gas mark 2) for 24 hours. Once them welsh blacks get a sniff of that cudgel they soon back off.

dan

Worked on farms in cumbria in my youth.Briefly,bullocks can be scary if you dont know better,,face them out,make a noise,swing arms or stick and they back off.ALL ENTIRE BULLS TO BE AVOIDED,regardless of breed.Think male hormones in the town centre,on the p**s on saturday night.Get a taxi home to your horlicks"!
There are always exceptions but 20 something yrs of wandering through farmland has shown me that the scariest creature is invariably man.Its obvious that you shouldnt be getting between anything and its young,even a wren will be distressed if you happen upon its nest,times its biomass by several thousand and you have only yourself to blame!Be aware and you will come to no harm.Especially if you stay close to jumpable fences!

Just be very aware of whats going on around you when in the country its a wee bit like being in town it can catch out the unwary like when crossing the road. Dogs especially small ones should be carried when going past cattle, or at least be ready to pick them up as they tend to alarm the cows, bullocks, bulls etc

Few cows here in Vietnam, but lots of Water Buffalos. They are docile 99% of the time, kids ride on them, but turn nasty ever so often. I prefer to give them a wide berth.

Dogs here are usually barkers, not biters, and they scare easily (probably because they are also a source of food). If you do get bitten, however, it is straight off for the shots, Rabies is wide-spread.

With regard to bulls, I have been told by a farmer that the thing to do is wait until the charging bull is within reach then punch it as hard as you can on the nose. He said he'd done it, and since he was still around to tell the tale I suppose it must have worked.

I had a bull charge at me once, but I didn't try this method out. I ran like hell and reached the fence about 5 yards before the bull.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back