• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

How do you pronounce Leica (1 Viewer)

The proper pronunciation for any word will be the one that is understood by others. Those of you gifted with the knowledge of various pronunciations have an advantage of being able to adjust to present company.

Snobs will insist that butchering of languages is owned by people of various countries while overlooking that speakers of every language around the planet adapt the pronunciation of foreign words in their own way. Let communication guide the way and don't worry too much over forcing others to pronounce words the same as in their original language lest you find yourself having to relearn a great many words.

Two of the most mispronounced bird names in my experience are "Rüppell's" & 'Radde's" Warblers. Not that it matters. And is it 'Hoo-poo' or 'Hoop-oh''? I've heard both.

Why the sneering?
Oh hell... I thought it was humor, why call it sneering? (And your calling Americans "confused" was of course not sneering?) Would you care to react to the actual content of what I said, as an answer to the question you claim merely to have asked?

Last edited:
and my forum handle should be "tentimes",
And I'd always assumed it had something to do with .22 target ammunition! :)
So how would you say 10x42? If I'm not mistaken, I think they would say "ten by forty-two" in the UK, and here it's "zehnmal zweiundvierzig".

John

That would have been Silver Dung in German but IIRC they realized that before the launch and called it Silver Shadow.

Regards,
John
Back in the 80s, or possibly, early 90s, there used to be an after-shave lotion on the German market that was advertised as truly elegant in yuppie-style TV commercials. It was called "Gammon". Lynx deodorant is called "Axe" in Germany. Probably for those who steam right in.

So how would you say 10x42? If I'm not mistaken, I think they would say "ten by forty-two" in the UK, and here it's "zehnmal zweiundvierzig".
"Ten by forty-two" is what I hear in the US also. Oddly enough resembling a lumber measurement, whereas "zehnmal zweiundvierzig" sounds like a multiplication exercise. All fairly inconsistent...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back