• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Avon Avians

United States
Hello, folks!
I have a question about woodlouse spiders, specifically Dysdera crocata, the only species present in New England.
Are these spiders a significantly cold-tolerant species?
For some people, this is a commonly encountered species. However, I've never seen one, or I at least cannot recall of having ever seen one.
I was thinking about laying down some wooden boards or logs to attract them. Then burying a pitfall trap cup near the site to hopefully catch my first one.
However, we live in one of the coldest towns in the entire eastern US. Specifically, Northumberland, in northern New Hampshire.
My question is how far north can these spiders be found? Are they tolerant of freezing temperatures?
I've checked websites like iNaturalist for reports of this species in or near our town, but there were none. However, there were several reports from MA.
They have apparently been seen in Canada, though, which often has similar temperatures to where we live.
That's rather surprising for a species that originated in the Mediterranean.
But anyways, feel free to share your experiences or other information you've heard about this.
Thanks! God bless!

Here's its distribution in the UK - Summary for Dysdera crocata (Araneae) -so well up into Scotland which would be pretty cold in winter, though Canada would be even colder.
If I wanted I could find them around my house by moving bricks, stones, plant pots around. It might take several minutes but I'm sure I'd find one eventually

Here's its distribution in the UK - Summary for Dysdera crocata (Araneae) -so well up into Scotland which would be pretty cold in winter, though Canada would be even colder.
If I wanted I could find them around my house by moving bricks, stones, plant pots around. It might take several minutes but I'm sure I'd find one eventually
I hope they live where I live, because they are a unique spider that I find quite interesting! However, it wouldn't be too surprising if a Mediterranean spider couldn't live here in the Northwoods. I suspect that they can take advantage of human basements and other man-made structures to survive the most severe winters? We have cellar spiders where we live, which are not very cold-tolerant, but are well adapted to taking advantage of heated human shelters.
We actually live in northern New Hampshire, not Canada, but it's so insanely cold here, that the climate is more similar to Canada than the southern parts of the state.
It's crazy how some species that are very abundant in one state can be so rare just a short drive away in another!

If we were able to find one or a few of these spiders, I would probably keep them as pets so I could observe them better. I have no shame about collecting these spiders, because where I live they are technically non-native, although their impacts of native species have not been studied very much. I think they are rather harmless to other native species because they feed mainly on another non-native species, specifically woodlice.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back