• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

How good is a twin 30w actinic Skinner? (1 Viewer)

ben_lewis

I currently have a 15w actinic skinner trap which is battery operated and a 125w MV, which lives and runs at Strumpshaw Fen RSPB Reserve. However I hope to do more trapping in my garden next year. An MV would be too bright for various reasons but I do want something I can plug into mains for ease.
so... Is it worth purchasing the twin 30w actinic mains set up? Anyone got any good pointers? I have read that the catch is approaching that of an MV, is this really true? I would really appreciate comments from those that have seen these in action.

I have never really got on with actinic before, but quadrupling the wattage and being able to run from mains, meaning no more charging of batteries has got me tempted.

Thanks for the advice,

I upgraded to a 60w ALS Robinson, and am very happy with it,especially the large bowl. The only slight problem is that the vanes do catch the wind, so keep them protected when it blows hard. You don't need any more rain protection other than the supplied top.
Just reread your post and see that you are talking about the 30w skinner not Robinson, sorry.

Last edited:
Thats fine JD, appreciate the comment!
Even if it is a different design of trap does it pull the moths in well compared to a 15w actinic light?

Thanks

It works well compared to my old 22 w actinic , cannot compare directly with an mv,but presume not any where near as good, but like you i cannot use an mv where i live.

Hi Ben

a friend of mine uses this set up with some success. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Exo-Terra...A%2BFICS%2BUFI&otn=21&pmod=120928413627&ps=54

He`s never used a 125 MV so cant compare with that but he seems to get a nice selection of moths none the less, I`ll have to ask him what kind of numbers he gets. This company also do a twin 40 as well.
I have a single 40w actinic that I run off of a battery some times & had 500+ Large Y.U`s in it one night last year !!!

Last edited:
Cheers Rob, certainly a lot cheaper than the ALS set up but not sure it'l be water proof. Glad to hear that a single 40w can catch 500 moths, sounds good enough to me, even if they were LYU's!
Sounds like the twin 30w could be a goer then. Thanks for the replies

Glad to hear that a single 40w can catch 500 moths

Yes, but I certainly was`nt glad. I`d set the trap the night before on the undercliff at Overstrand & was quite excited at the prospect of what may be lurking inside as weather conditions were favourable. On arrival at the trap the scene was quite horrific, with the vanes & funnel plastered with LYU scales & looking through the collar, the inside of the trap was absolutely rammed with them. All I could do was empty the trap there & then rather than take it home at go through the contents methodically. In the end I was even sorry I`d set the trap as most of them were fairly heavily worn & there was`nt much else in there besides LYU`s. Speaking to Neil Lawton shortly after this he told me that he once had c1500 LYU`s in his trap on Scolt ! Presumably these are migrants ?
As for the twin 30W, they`re definitely waterproof *, the black caps on the end of the tubes being a very tight fit.

* Water resistant according to the advert

Last edited:
I know the feeling of being over run by LYU's from my days trapping on the East coast of Kent a few years back, I understand the guilt too! Never had anywhere near 1500 though, that must have been quite a sight, try picking out the Lunar YU in that!

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back