• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

How is your 2011 List Going? (7 Viewers)

Not as many new birds as I'd hoped on our trip to the upper Texas coast but not bad:
180. Sandwich Tern
181. Common Tern
182. Least Tern
183. Wilson's Plover
184. Snowy Plover
185. Merlin
186. Black-and-white Warble
187. Black-necked Stilt

Jeff
www.jeffincypress.blogspot.com

Recently back from Kearney, Nebraska, where I did some birding on the Platte River corridor and Rainwater Basin area (Sandhill Cranes and Waterfowl Production Area, respectively). Had a great time and got a lot of nice birds. Brenda and I saw thousands of Sandhill Cranes (of the estimated 600,000 birds!) and a couple of Yellow-headed Blackbirds (that's a couple of new "year birds", but not for my tally here, which is just for Missouri).

Back in Missouri now and went birding around the local oxbow lakes south of Saint Joseph, Missouri (my local patch).

108. Eastern Phoebe, Lake Contrary, Saint Joseph, Missouri.
109. Vesper Sparrow, Muskrat Lake, Saint Joseph, Missouri.

Spent a day birding in Orlando while on vacation:
108. Wood Stork
109. White Ibis
110. Osprey
111. Brown Pelican
112. Northern Parula
113. Gray Catbird
114. Cattle Egret
115. Common Moorhen
116. Glossy Ibis
117. Little Blue Heron
118. Palm Warbler
119. Blue-winged Teal
120. Limpkin (lifer)
121. Tricolored Heron
122. Tree Swallow
123. Black-crowned Night-Heron
124. Anhinga
125. Common Yellowthroat
126. Snowy Egret
127. American Bittern
128. Mottled Duck
129. Purple Martin
130. Green Heron
131. Loggerhead Shrike

Back in MD:
132. Horned Grebe
133. Cooper's Hawk (FINALLY!)

Spent a day birding in Orlando while on vacation:
108. Wood Stork
109. White Ibis
110. Osprey
111. Brown Pelican
112. Northern Parula
113. Gray Catbird
114. Cattle Egret
115. Common Moorhen
116. Glossy Ibis
117. Little Blue Heron
118. Palm Warbler
119. Blue-winged Teal
120. Limpkin (lifer)
121. Tricolored Heron
122. Tree Swallow
123. Black-crowned Night-Heron
124. Anhinga
125. Common Yellowthroat
126. Snowy Egret
127. American Bittern
128. Mottled Duck
129. Purple Martin
130. Green Heron
131. Loggerhead Shrike

Back in MD:
132. Horned Grebe
133. Cooper's Hawk (FINALLY!)

Some nice birds there, Alex. I really envy you the Limpkin.

Jeff

I traveled up to Squaw Creek NWR, Mound City, Missouri, yesterday with one of my birding partners and two Amish birders (father and son) for a day of birding. It was the first time the Amish fellows had been to the refuge. It was a real treat for them. I added six (6) birds to my "Missouri 2011 Year List".

110. Tree Swallow
111. Bonaparte's Gull
112. Long-billed Dowitcher
113. Wilson's Snipe
114. Pectoral Sandpiper
115. Great Egret

Some nice birds there, Alex. I really envy you the Limpkin.

Jeff

Thanks, Jeff! I finally overcame my paralyzing fear of alligators... birding Orlando Wetlands Park in Christmas, FL. I was really psyched to get the Limpkins - such odd but beautiful birds. One was scratching its neck like a dog!

Thanks, Jeff! I finally overcame my paralyzing fear of alligators... birding Orlando Wetlands Park in Christmas, FL. I was really psyched to get the Limpkins - such odd but beautiful birds. One was scratching its neck like a dog!

Don't know how you manage to do much birding in Florida if you like to stay clear of alligators! I seemed to be stepping around them everywhere I went when I visited the Everglades. There are lots here, too, of course, but I find they're usually very mellow.

That's funny about the scratching. It seems like half the birds I've seen lately have been doing it. I wonder if fleas are a particular problem this time of year.

Jeff
www.jeffincypress.blogspot.com

61. Whimbrel (Kuwait)

62. Green Sandpiper (Kuwait)

63. Little Ringed Plover (Kuwait)

64. Little Egret (Kuwait)

65. Black Kite (Kuwait)

66. White-throated Kingfisher (Kuwait)

67. House Crow (Kuwait)

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back