• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

How is your 2011 List Going? (1 Viewer)

Standing at the entrance of the library building where I work, I noticed movement on a nearby tree.
308. Brown Creeper

It was a juvenile and let me touch its tail feathers!

Jeff

Just got back from a non-birding trip to West Virginia, where I addded a new bird to my Year List, putting me up to 528 for the year.

528. Great Horned Owl

Dave

309. Common Ground Dove (good bird for our area).

Fly to San Francisco tomorrow and will spend most of Sunday birding the SF Bay Area. I hope this will produce some new year birds.

Jeff

Jeff, I am looking forward to hear about what you see in the SF Bay area. Should be some "good" birds for you there.

Not as many new year birds as I'd hoped in SF, Larry. One highlight, though, was Burrowing Owl. I'll add this and other SF birds when I've checked my notes.

In the meantime, a new bird near work today:
311. Green-tailed Towhee (a very good bird for our area)

Jeff

Attachments

• burrowing.jpg
    burrowing.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:
California Birds

I was surprised by how few birds I saw in 4+ hours of birding in the San Francisco Bay Area. Only 50 species. The only new ones were:
313. Golden-crowned Sparrow
314. Townsend's Warbler
315. Burrowing Owl
316. Western Gull
317. California Gull
318. Brandt's Cormorant
319. Surfbird
320. Horned Grebe
321. Western Meadowlark.

Jeff
www.jeffincypress.blogspot.com

Last edited:
Yesterday at Squaw Creek NWR, Mound City, Missouril

260. Golden Eagle, a juvenile bird. * A 2011 Year Bird for my Missouri Year List.

** Also, observed one late American Golden-Plover and four late Barn Swallows. (Not year birds, but still of special interest.)

215 with the Greater Yellowlegs last weekend.

I've twitched more this year than in recent years, so that's helped, as did a five-day trip around Scotland in May (with LGRE, which was, err, interesting to say the least). I've also done more patch work this year (including regular BTO counts at a couple of sites), so the patch lists are looking healthier too.

130 species... pretty good considering I haven't left Wisconsin (right? Or have I been to Minnesota? Whatever, I barely cross the border when I go there anyway). The coolest bird I saw was a Northern shrike when I was getting out of work one day. It was a life bird and I hope I get to see another one sooner than later!

I have seen reports of Snowy Owl and Northern Shrike on our listserver/facebook/etc. These birds have been observed not too far from Saint Joseph, Missouri (where I live).

* I must get out and try to see these while they are around!

I went down to Smithville Lake, Smithville, Missouri, yesterday and tried for the SNOWY OWL, (No Joy). I did see three species of gull, some grebes, Common and Red-breasted Mergansers in the area though. And a MUTE SWAN hanging around with a flock of Canada Geese. (* With a little "tounge in cheek" I am going to put it on this year's list. Most folks here consider a Mute Swan in our area an escaped bird.)

261. Mute Swan, Smithville Lake, Smithville, Missouri

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back