• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

How is your 2012 List Going? (1 Viewer)

Sunday April 1

Went down to the nearest pond, but it was fresh out of grebes or ducks (aside from Mallards). The landbirds were a bit better though.

26) Eastern Phoebe
27) Northern Flicker
28) Golden-crowned Kinglet
29) Brown Creeper

Very few migrating songbirds at High Island. I added only:
186. Northern Parula
187. Indigo Bunting
188. Baltimore Oriole
189. Orchard Oriole
190. Yellow-throated Warbler.

However, I did better with other coastal birds:
191. Seaside Sparrow
192. Eastern Kingbird
193. American Oystercatcher
194. Wilson's Plover
195. Piping Plover
196. Greater Yellowlegs
197. Sandwich Tern
198. Red Knot
199. Western Sandpiper
200. Semipalmated Sandpiper
201. Lesser Scaup
202. Least Tern
203. Caspian Tern
204. Gull-billed Tern

Jeff

Looks like that I am about 100 behind some of the other USA birders! Perhaps I will narrow the gap when the swifts, swallows, flycatchers, shorebirds and wood warblers begin to show up!

March 31st I did add:
118. Lesser Yellowlegs, at Muskrat Lake, Saint Joseph, Missouri.

Today, I did add a couple of species to my Missouri Year Bird List.

119. Barred Owl, finally got one at Bluff Woods Conservation Area, Halls, Missouri. (I usually get this one in the first part of January, but somehow managed to miss it at that time this year.)

120. Purple Martin, three of them checking out a nesting compartments in a Purple Martin house here in Saint Joseph, Missouri.

Looks like that I am about 100 behind some of the other USA birders! Perhaps I will narrow the gap when the swifts, swallow, flycatchers, shorebirds and wood warblers begin to show up!

Like you, Larry, I'm hoping for wood warblers to boost my list. I missed a lot of warblers last year, because work made it impossible for me to get to the prime sites on the few days when warblers arrived in good numbers. I'm hoping to do better this year - which basically means that I'm hoping for bad weather on the next few weekends!

Jeff

My list is off somewhere because my eBird shows only 203 species.

Anyway, up to 204 today with Green Heron at work.

Jeff

These three from the Lake Contrary area, Saint Joseph, Missouri

122. Northern Rough-winged Swallow
123. Vesper Sparrow
124. Indigo Bunting (early date for me here in Missouri)

125. Chipping Sparrow, Lake Contrary area, Saint Joseph, Missouri
126. Clay-colored Sparrow, Lake Contrary area, Saint Joseph, Missouri
127. Spotted Sandpiper, Horseshoe Lake, Saint Joseph, Missouri

* I may have caught a glimpse of a couple of Cliff Swallow, but because I was not sure of the ID I have not yet added that one to my 2012 Missouri Birds List.

Jeff, hurry up and send those birds you are seeing up our way! I need to "close the gap" a little bit! ;)

A lot should be up your way now, Larry, cos they're mainly overflying the Texas coast and so we're missing them.

Saw three new species yesterday:
205. Franklin's Gull (lifer)
206. Black Tern
207. Common Tern

Jeff

Friday, April 6

Good Friday was very good for me indeed!

Lots of new stuff showed up within range of my house ... the Buffleheads and scaup were very nice surprises (I don't live anywhere near any large bodies of water), but the star of the show had to be the owl, which I never really expected to get on this year's list. He was just sunning himself on the lip of a large knot-hole, trying his best to look like a broken off branch (and very nearly succeeding...)

31) White-breasted Nuthatch
32) Cedar Waxwing
33) Bufflehead
34) Lesser Scaup
35) Tree Swallow
36) Eastern Screech-owl
37) Red-bellied Woodpecker
38) Herring Gull

Last edited:
Migration is not being kind to me. Only two new birds yesterday and so far today:
208. Purple Gallinule
209. Summer Tanager

Jeff

Today at Squaw Creek National Wildlife Refuge, Mound City, Missouri

131. Great Egret
132. Dunlin
133. Bank Swallow

* The pair of Sandhill Cranes was a nice added attraction!

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back