• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

How many ....... Crows ........ have you seen? (3 Viewers)

I have gone to a few places in the Eastern US, that is it, so my list is kind of small:

American Crow
Fish Crow
Common Raven
Blue Jay
Gray Jay
Green Jay

My list only 11
Stellars's Jay (B.C.)
Gray Jay (B.C.)
American Crow (B.C.)
Carrion Crow (Germany)
Raven (scotland)
Rook (Germany)
Yellow-billed Chough (Alpine)(Bavaria)
Jackdaw (Germany)
Magpie (Germany)
Jay (Germany)
Clarke's Nutcracker (B.C.)

but then I'm new to this and only count what I photograph

Andy

oh I forgot Hooded Crow

Last edited:
It's surprising how many people here in the UK have got some stunningly rare birds on their list but are missing stuff that breeds here. I blame it all on the rise of twitching / ticking in the early '80s. It's nice to see that people do look at crows though :t:

Chris

There again, if you live on Hawai'i you're more likely to have seen Hawaiian Crow than Grey Jay ( sorry about the spelling of the last species - my fingers won't input an A. )

Can be luck of the draw though. In more regular terms (not uber-rarities!) I saw birds like Bittern, Bearded Tit, Marsh Harrier and Chough long before I saw my first Nuthatch or Brent Goose purely because I went to the places where I could see those before I went to the places the latter were found - became rather a sore point as I thought Nuthatches were brilliant and my brother saw lots but the best I managed for ages was to hear one in his local park.

I love watching Crows Chris, they can be fascinating and sometimes give amazing displays. When a peregrine flew over the meadow on my patch last week the big flock of carrion crows all flew up in alarm and they were swirling around and whiffling, which I'd never seen crows do! When I go to Blakeney there are always lots of Jackdaws about and they're always brilliant to watch - very tame too since there are always a lot of people there and they've become accustomed to us.

Not sure how I miss this "how many...." thread. Looks like I'm at 48 species. Corvids truly are a spectacular group of birds!

Crested Jay
Black Magpie
Gray Jay
Azure-hooded Jay
Beautiful Jay
Turquoise Jay
Black-throated Magpie-Jay
White-throated Magpie-Jay
Brown Jay
Purplish Jay
Violaceous Jay
Steller's Jay
Blue Jay
Florida Scrub-Jay
Mexican Jay
Eurasian Jay
Black-headed Jay
Gold-billed Magpie
Blue Magpie
Green Magpie
Rufous Treepie
Gray Treepie
Bornean Treepie
Racket-tailed Treepie
Eurasian Magpie
Black-billed Magpie
Clark's Nutcracker
Eurasian Nutcracker
Red-billed Chough
Yellow-billed Chough
Piapiac
House Crow
Slender-billed Crow
Cape Crow
Rook
American Crow
Northwestern Crow
Sinaloa Crow
Fish Crow
Hooded Crow
Large-billed Crow
Torresian Crow
Little Crow
Australian Raven
Pied Crow
Fan-tailed Raven
White-necked Raven
Common Raven

Cheers,
Benji

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back