• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

How often do you change the humming birds food? (1 Viewer)

buckofdurham

United States
With this heat reaching in the 90's.
How often do you change your Humming Bird food?

I made some fruit punch for the kids in a real big container. I put a bunch of slices of oranges in the red punch that was mixed with sugar.
After several days I poured myself a galss and noticed it had started to ferment.
This made me think of my Humming Bird feeders.
I know when I used to do Taxidermy customers would bring in Hummingbirds that had ran into their windows. Perhaps they were drunk flying or FWI. (Flying while impaired)

1690634860629.png

Last edited:
When I lived in AZ with the temps typically in the 90s during the summer I would change it out every Mon, Wed, and Fri. Also of course anytime it would get the cloudy look to it.

I replace it every third day at the lates and put a weak bleach solution in the feeder for 12 hours and rotate feeders from sugar solution to bleach solution and back to sugar solution. All my feeders are under an eave on the north side of my house and so never get sunlight which makes a great deal of difference in mold growth.

In the early spring I had 6 feeders going at one time out on the hooks but the hummers left for the most part and now I am feeding roughly 6 hummers and a pair of hooded orioles.

I have a shallow clay pan out for the other birds and change the water in it daily as the birds drink but also bathe and can poop in the water. Every 2 weeks I put a bleach solution in it and let it sit for 24 hours while using a second clay pan (type of dish made to put under large plant pots). The water gets a lot of sun during the summer and so the bottom will starty to become green with growth.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back