• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

How to see Leach's Petrel (2 Viewers)

If its any consolation, I managed to miss a Bonxie today...whilst I was watching the tide edge. All I can think is that few seconds that I took my eyes off eye piece of scope, to answer the phone call to tell me a close Bonxie was about to go past, coincided exactly with the Bonxie going past

That 6 hour "wrong wind" from 6am to midday was just plain cruel. Petrels appeared within 90 minutes of its swinging back west

Attachments

• Crosby.jpg
    Crosby.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 72
It's a shame the weather was against you this morning and you missed your window of opportunity. Catching up with some of these migratory sea birds is not easy as I know only too well, especially when you don't live by the coast.

One consolation John, thanks to this splendid thread, I feel I have really got to grips with the optimum weather requirements (I only had a vague understanding before) and shall pay close attention to this thread and the aforementioned weather websites over the next few weeks. I just hope I get another chance. If required, it might take a dash after work, with good ol' grandma roped in for childcare should I need it. ;)

ps, yes Jane, it was cruel, but thanks for your efforts. I'm very grateful.

Chris

Its will take 2 hours of wind as long as there are petrels in the Irish sea... but 36 hours once they go through. There should be more coming in today and tonight... so there are 3 more days when you don't need too much of a blow

Not good news for anyone still wanting to see LPS. a combination of lighter winds and very good visibility means any will be distant and cutting the corner - so Hilbre is the only real chance. It was blowing well up to about 3am too

Attachments

• Crosby.jpg
    Crosby.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 75
6W now... 10.20- 12;00 +one east. Very distant but the lack of wave troughs makes it easier to see them. Imagine they will be getting small nos on Hilbre too. GOing to be hard any further East without height

Hi Jane a question from "Reader" do you think there is a possibility of LP tomorrow, or sunday, and where is best place to go, (he is currently driving ,hence the Q from me)

Very very low chance. There was one off New Brighton in the afternoon that sounded a bit knaclkered (an likely to be inside a Gull or still about). It would just take a couple of hours of wind and some dogy visibility to get them back, but the wind isn't going to happen

This morning, LPs were getting further and further from land, until I couldn't resolve them. There will be plenty about, but you will need to be a 1-5 miles offshore to see them. Hilbre is the best chance, but its a long shot

Thanks Jane

Thanks for responding to Martin.

I have only just got back from a mammoth 550 mile round trip and was hoping to go over to the Wirral over the weekend.

Thankfully I am now off work until Oct 7th so hopefully the wind will change at some time within the next two weeks and bring them back close to shore.

John

Leach's Petrels in small numbers almost immediately with the start of the wind - its going northerly so NB early morning might be a plan, but Point Lynas on tomorrows tide looks best. Should be Grey Phalaropes, Pom Skua and Sabine's Gull too.

I had LP west, then east then West then east... which I logged as 1 (but might have been 2) Very early in the winds for numbers as well as being late in the year

2 at Hilbre

2 Bonxies too and plenty of auks

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back