• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

How to see Leach's Petrel (2 Viewers)

Only one petrel west in a 20 min look this morning, but 35 East! Also a Phalarope spp, presumed Grey at about 8.30, which was on the sea then left East also

Are there likely to be any Leach's still around tomorrow lunchtime?

Looking at the shipping forecast today, I'm thinking probably very few.

Trying to work out whether worth coming up from London tomorrow.

best wishes
James

There will be petrels for sure, what there won't be is much water, especially around lunch time. You could get onto Hilbre between tides and I'd put my mortgage on there being some - even if they are all clearing out as fast as possible.

I have birds passing W at about 1 a minute and birds passing east at 2 a minute, even though the tide is 3/4 of a mile out I suspect they are well past 300 W at Hilbre already. Sabs are about still too

Last edited:
Blimey James - I worry driving the 40 minutes from South Manchester during a blow in the fear that I'll miss 'em.

Has to be promising that the numbers are still so high though - good luck if you make the effort, I'll not be around tomorrow but you could do with a local contact or two to try and guide you in to any spot that still has Petrels or you could end up a few hundred yards away staring at an empty bit of beach.

Passing at one a minute still, with as many going east! 2 Sabs seen by an intrepid birder out on the tide edge, which is miles out - and 3 on Hilbre while I slept of a pub lunch!

They will have 300-400 on Hilbre by now.

Wind has dropped right off, but there are still petrels - 4 in 15 mins this am, from home. Further out than in the last few days, but the wave troughs are small so you can see them.

Excellent news!

Thanks Rob...

Yes, thanks to accurate predictions and detailed directions from Jane (would you expect anything else?), I felt my first ever petrel-watching expedition to the Wirral was really very good. Only saw a handful of birds in an hour and a half, but all were lingering and feeding, a couple close in to the island.

Also had time to see a few paintings I'd been meaning to check out for a while at the Lady Lever Gallery, and still back in London in time for dinner. And a low-carbon trip on the train too.

James

Just hit the requisite 48 hours of strong westerlies - Its too early for Leach's but expect there to be Storm Petrels off N.Wirral today. Outside chance of Balearic Shearwaters too. So squally, the only issue is going to be visibility.

Just hit the requisite 48 hours of strong westerlies - Its too early for Leach's but expect there to be Storm Petrels off N.Wirral today. Outside chance of Balearic Shearwaters too. So squally, the only issue is going to be visibility.

9th July 1995 I saw a Leach's Petrel on Pennington Flash on a balmy summers afternoon, with not a breath of wind. It was flying around, apparently quite happily. I don't remember there being any strong winds at all in the lead up to its arrival. How weird, a real Penny Flash blocker!

Ironically, having seen hundreds of Leach's off Wirral in the past, I'm more tempted to go for the possibility of Stormie, of which I've only ever seen a handful in the North West.

The Mersey rivermouth has a good record of summer Stormies I think, have seen them there myself off Seaforth in the past - don't know if it outperforms Jane's neck of the woods?

One in the Mersey and one of HIlbre so far. Pretty pants here - just a few Manxies moving through - not even any Gannets within 3 miles (suggestion of a fair few out beyond that!)

The wind has died down on North Wirral and the sun is trying to come out so it'd be a good time, right now, to get down to the coast and start looking for Stormies.

Chris

The first Leach's of the season is off Leasowe now. I've had a very close pale juv LT skua in a squall - handy it was close since I couldn't see the sea at the time. It was feeding LP style on the wet beach and looked to be heading west hugging the prom.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back