• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

How waterproof is your anorak? (15 Viewers)

scampo said:
Must be right, but my Helly Hansen never said to do anything except wash it and it lasted for very many years and saved me from some of the worst of Dartmoor's rain (which, I know is wussily wet compared to what you get north o'the border!).

I've never seen any other coats recommend NikWax either but what you say sounds fair enough.

Time for something definitive; I lifted this from the "North Face" website

"D. My shell jacket will not stay dry anymore. What can I do about it?
All of The North Face Outerwear shell fabrics are treated with a Durable Water Repellent finish (DWR). This finish helps the shell fabric resist wetting by causing the water to bead-up so it easily falls off before being absorbed into the fabric. Additionally, some of our performance fabrics have a waterproof back finish (such as Gore-Tex® fabrics and HydroSeal®) that prevents penetration of the water through the fabric. As a garment is worn and used over time, accumulation of soils from external sources as well as from your own body can lessen the performance of these finishes.
In order to revive the DWR, the product needs to be thoroughly cleaned with a powder detergent (do not use a liquid detergent) in a regular washing machine in warm water. Put the product through two rinse cycles to ensure that there is no detergent residue, then dry it in a regular clothes dryer on medium heat. When cleaning your Gore-Tex® jacket, attach all Velcro® closures and zip all zippers. Finally, the entire outside of the garment should be touched up with a warm iron on the steam setting.
This process should revive the DWR. For even better performance, treat your product with a coating of a DWR spray such as Tectron®. This maintenance program is only required when water stops beading up on the outer surface of the fabric."

I haven't used the spray ons such as Tectron as we always wash and then proof in the washing machine. So much more fun than reproofing a wax jacket whcih is what I have been doing while my wife watches "Holby City" (yuk!)

Andy

KCFoggin said:
Must be your computer/IP Steve cause my pages are loading instantly.
I think it's the mix of BF and the proxy server my ISP uses - it's so annoying. It's one reason I don't post so much... waiting is sooo boring. I've complained to ntl to little avail. Odd really - no other site that I use is like this. I'll phone their help line again when I have half an hour to wait!

Rainfall

Andrew said:
Sounds like you have not seen the REAL Dartmoor yet! ;)

I beleive that the wettest place in the UK over 12 months is in Wales and the wettest over 24 hours is in England but for sheer, all out, dogged, wearying, persistance you cannot beat the Western Highlands. That's why we would all be so pleased to be hill walking in the winter; snow is so much more fun. I really miss the winter hills. The Brecons are nice but they aren't the same.

But, by God, I have had some b****y wet days on Dartmoor.

Andy

With regards to the Paramo Cascada trousers, does anyone have experience of walking through long, sodden grass in a pair of these? If so, how did they stand up to the job of remaining waterproof?

cheers,

Bill.

WCA said:
With regards to the Paramo Cascada trousers, does anyone have experience of walking through long, sodden grass in a pair of these? If so, how did they stand up to the job of remaining waterproof?

cheers,

Bill.
Did just that with my wife the other Sunday - my rustly bulky overtrousers were dry as a bone; my wife's Cascadas...

...were as dry as a bone, too - but MUCH more comfy she suggests. And no rustling!

I hope I get some for Christmas.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back