• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hoylake Bird Observatory (1 Viewer)

Jane Turner said:
House Martin, common and Sandwich Tern also added today. Still not seen the B****** Swift!

67 for the year

Hi Jane - I went back to the wirral this morning with another friend, he picked me up in Warrington at 9pm, and as in all the reports I had seen the A Swift is a late riser liking a lie in each morning, so we decided to have a quick stop at IMF - BIG MISTAKE :-C

Was happy to tick a GREENSHANK and had nice views of Marsh Harrier and summer plummage Spotted Redshank. We arrived at Barnston shortly after 11.00 to hear it had not been seen for an hour. About 1.15 a shout went out from one of the dozen birders, great excitement as we all scanned the sky and followed the swift. The bird initally hidden behind the trees and flying away from us. One birder shouted out I can see some white - every one else convinced it was a COMMON SWIFT. One birder leaves a happy bunny convinced he had seen the bird,the rest remain and wait in hope. I left after 3 hours, happy with my C Swift year tick, but sadly my friend dissapointed not to see the real Alpine Swift.

We were intending to visit Woolston Eyes where I am a warden, we would probablly have seen a few more birds - but thats birding for you, we would not get the satisfaction if itwas too easy!!!

Cheers Alan

Just been speaking to my sister in co Durham and she has just added 2 RED KITES to her garden list - admitedly the released birds, is that on your garden list Jane?

Last edited:
No Red Kite - its a very rare bird up here. mind You I haven't nailed Buzzard yet either, most large raptors shun the coast!

I thought I had an Osprey this morning- there was a large dark shape demolishing something on the tide edge. Turns out it was a Raven, which is new for the year and rather rarer than Osprey here.

Gannet, Redstart and Whimbrel added today so far and I spotted that I missed off Mistle Thrush. So 69 for the year

oh right well stick at it i'm sure you'll get it eventually. its in a lovely area so at least you are waiting in nice suroundings

I missed it (the Ba**** Swift) again yesterday - then again so did everyone else it seems. Redpoll and Siskin were new for the year yesterday and I missed Linnet off.

There is a new Redstart in the garden today and at least 20 Willow Warblers have gone through. Tree Pipit and Yellow Wag over. Just had an Osprey at not much more than roof height go though the back garden and have aslo added a rather feral looking Greylag for the year.
There is a large feeding flock of Gannets out to sea and plenty of Sandwich and Common Terns. Finally for now there is a really lazy male Peregrine that has been sitting on the beach since early morning.

That is 75 now.

i was wondering if the osprey on birdguides was you. out of interest, how far away are the gannets? and is it binocular distance or do you need a telescope?

You need a bit of height and a scope when the tide is out. That said they were close to the low tide mark and inside the buoys that are off Hoylake.

In a rare case of me being about the house/garden in daylight, passage has continued more or less all day today. Willow Warblers are up to 40 at least, and there have been 3 Blackcaps a rather fine male Whitethroat and a fly though Common Swift that defied attempts to turn it into a Pallid. 78 for the year.

I fear the Alpine Swift has gone, but amazing it stayed so long. Looking at the other five records for Cheshire/Wirral they mostly just stayed a few minutes, I think yours at Stanley Road in 1998 was one of the longest stayers - and that was just an afternoon.
Good spring for Ospreys - I make that 7 over Wirral this month so far. Only three last year - strangely that included one over Barnston!!

Jane Turner said:
I'm starting to wonder if there isn't one (Osprey) hanging about Richard.

Could be, but apart from one on the 20th they've all be going over fairly quicly in a northerly diection. The one on the 20th was going over Little Neston towards the Dee in the morning, then 'another' one came over Parkgate heading north in the evening. So perhaps that should be 6 rather than 7.
Certainly we had one or two hanging around last summer, one was here for a few days and went to Fiddlers Ferry for a few weeks. Then another was at Downholland in Lancs but can't remember the dates for that one.

Rob Smallwood said:
Jane,

In case you hadn't heard it or another Alpine Swiftis at the brick works at Meols,

Rob

There again this afternoon, and getting closer to Jane's house! Anybody know the longest stay for an Alpine Swift in this country? This bird must be pretty close to a record.

deeestuary said:
There again this afternoon, and getting closer to Jane's house! Anybody know the longest stay for an Alpine Swift in this country? This bird must be pretty close to a record.
It'll have to resist it's itchy feet for a while yet. Don't know what the record for a long stay in the UK is, but 2 turned up here in Seaton, Devon on 1st April, becoming 3 next day.......2 still present, roosting each night on a block of flats in town.

Rob Smallwood said:
Jane,

In case you hadn't heard it or another Alpine Swiftis at the brick works at Meols,

Rob

Problem is I'm working in Bangkok!Seeing lots of Little Swifts and fluffed a Needletail spp!

Gavin Haig said:
It'll have to resist it's itchy feet for a while yet. Don't know what the record for a long stay in the UK is, but 2 turned up here in Seaton, Devon on 1st April, becoming 3 next day.......2 still present, roosting each night on a block of flats in town.

Yes, I think that is the key - if they find a roost site they feel safe in then they will stay for a while.

i agree with swifty when i leave school it would be nice to have the chance to travel with my work. but knowing me i'd get sick of it ;) anyway hope you enjoy it and i hope the AS sticks around for you when you get back

There were some interesting birds around on Saturday. 5 Scaup, Kittiwake, about 20 Gannets what may be the last Red-throated Diver until they return and Fulmar, which was new for the year.

Yesterday there was a Subalpine warbler in view, though I couldn't see it!

Jane Turner said:
Yesterday there was a Subalpine warbler in view, though I couldn't see it!
Were you actually on Hilbre or trying to squeeze the maximum potential out of your scope from Hoylake? ;)

Andrew said:
Were you actually on Hilbre or trying to squeeze the maximum potential out of your scope from Hoylake? ;)

Merely that I can see the patch of Blackthorne in which it is hiding from home, so presumably it can see me. I can ID geese on Hilbre, large gulls, waders etc, but a Sylvia is pushing it!

I suspect I could see it being extracted from the Heligoland catching boxes too!

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back