• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hummingbird died in care, what did I do wrong? (1 Viewer)

Rangya

United States
Found injured Hummingbird and kept in shoe box at night. Morning kept in semi sun to keep warm and it showed some signs of life. I fed 1:4 sugar in water first with a cotton bud but not sure it was comfortable- saw tongue couple of times, so got a spoon and it really dug in. But then it’s tongue seemed to stuck out even when I moved spoon away and it seemed to struggle. I got some plain water and a fresh bud to wet and hopefully unstick it’s tongue and when I came back it had died. I don’t understand what I did wrong and why it’s tongue should get stuck out. Any ideas?

Hi Rangya and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators.

I've moved your post to the Hummingbird forum, which will be more appropriate for this discussion. Meanwhile we have some general guidelines here for the care of injured and baby birds. which you might fine useful.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I look forward to hearing your news.

Whatever injury or illness allowed you to catch it probably did the poor thing in.

Though, one thing occurs to me: what time did you catch it first, and what time did you feed it? Hummingbirds starve very quickly. They go into torpor at night to avoid starvation, but I wonder if maybe stress or whatever was already wrong kept it awake, and meant it burnt all its energy out and starved.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back