• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hummingbird, Ecuador - Help with ID (1 Viewer)

antee

Hummingbird at Alambi reserve, Ecuador.
Around 1000m above sea level. At the foothills of cloud forest. Close to the famous Bellavista Lodge. Eastern Andes.

Any idea?

372.Fågel.jpg

Thanx!

I think the blue tail and the lack of white post-ocular spot both favor Woodnymph.
Niels

I am not sure about that. They live on much higher altitude than 1000m. Also they are bigger and a slightly upcurved bill.
Yes agree not that. But the colouration, tail shape, perhaps wing shape look wrong for the woodnymph. I'll have another look later

1. Interesting discussion - hummers, ofc, are deceptive because of the appearance(s) of iridescence. I don't know what this one is, but I'm in agreement with the dissenters, though vaguely.

2. I can't find an image (nor, from life, because I only ever saw one, and that, to be honest, was because a local guide called it) that shows Great Sapphirewing

3. That said, the contra-indications are also contra-indicated, but then you're getting into violet versus blue and shoulders versus flanks, colour-wise, and iridescence complicates things significantly. Minefield.

4. So, I don't know (still.)

5. All that aside, that is a lovely shot - light, flowers, etc. That's my best take on this.

6. Any local ECU birder would surely end this banter with an authoritative call?

It is a male Crowned Woodnymph as noted by others. The Sapphirewing has a slightly upturned bill, longer wings (nearly reach tail tip) and the wings have blue iridescence onto greater coverts and the flight feathers themselves, though of course, as noted by lockbreeze, judging a lack of iridescence is a bit of delicate call.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back