• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hummingbird Hawk Moth species in the Falkland Islands (1 Viewer)

Alan henry

Australia
I saw this moth species that I believe is a Hummingbird Hawk Moth, can anybody confirm the species.

I have never heard of this species being seen in the Falkland Islands before.

Cheers

Alan

Attachments

• 3A9A9061_1.jpg
    3A9A9061_1.jpg
    555.6 KB · Views: 17
  • 3A9A9085_1.jpg
    3A9A9085_1.jpg
    708.4 KB · Views: 17
  • 3A9A9098_1.jpg
    3A9A9098_1.jpg
    677 KB · Views: 17
Hi Alan!
That's a spectacular record! Unless I'm missing any extremely recent unpublished record, that is a new species for the Falklands because there's only one other hawk moth species previously recorded, the long distance migrant Agrius cingulata, which is very different and I was fortunate to see and photograph back in 2008 or 2009 (there are several records of this one and you may have seen it as well).
I don't know what species is on your photos but it's very striking and I'll look into it, it's fantastic! Congratulations for that!
Cheers

Hi Alan!
That's a spectacular record! Unless I'm missing any extremely recent unpublished record, that is a new species for the Falklands because there's only one other hawk moth species previously recorded, the long distance migrant Agrius cingulata, which is very different and I was fortunate to see and photograph back in 2008 or 2009 (there are several records of this one and you may have seen it as well).
I don't know what species is on your photos but it's very striking and I'll look into it, it's fantastic! Congratulations for that!
Cheers
Hi Rafael,

Yes as you can image I was a little bit excited when I saw it. Watched it for about 10 minutes and even got a short video with my phone.

I have seen one other hawk moth you mention both alive and found one dead..

Will try to make contact with someone who will know.

Cheers and stay safe....... Oh did I mention I saw a Royal Penguin yesterday??.... :)

Alan

Attachments

• Pink Spotted Hawk Moth (Stanley) 2.JPG
    Pink Spotted Hawk Moth (Stanley) 2.JPG
    716.2 KB · Views: 13
  • 149735667_10161799492994619_3879517675521962307_o.jpg
    149735667_10161799492994619_3879517675521962307_o.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 13
Alan,
from a quick search I think we can say confidently that the genus is is Aellopos. The species may be Aellopos titan, the Titan Hawkmoth, which occurs in Argentina and Uruguay. Aellopos fadus needs to be rulled out, but it seems the visible pattern, both wings and abdomen, is better for titan.
Great stuff!
Cheers!

Hi Rafael,

Yes as you can image I was a little bit excited when I saw it. Watched it for about 10 minutes and even got a short video with my phone.

I have seen one other hawk moth you mention both alive and found one dead..

Will try to make contact with someone who will know.

Cheers and stay safe....... Oh did I mention I saw a Royal Penguin yesterday??.... :)

Alan
Oh, I'm gutted with that Royal! :D Seriously jealous! You know of the old claims of a few pairs breeding on Beauchêne (I. Strange)?

Re. the Hawk Moth, I think the ID is probably right. Great record.

EDIT: a page with all Aellopos where they can be compared side by side.

I saw this moth species that I believe is a Hummingbird Hawk Moth, can anybody confirm the species.

I have never heard of this species being seen in the Falkland Islands before.

Cheers

Alan
Hi Alan

I see you are still turning up some nice moths. What a great record.

I've mentioned it to a colleague at the Museum and he says it's the most southerly record he's aware of. I've also passed the info on to another colleague who has published on the Falkland Island moths.

Best wishes

Martin

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back