• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Interesting behavior of Eurasian coots after losing an egg (1 Viewer)

rocknroler

Netherlands
Hi everyone!

So for the past couple of months I was observing a pair of Eurasian coots in the pond in front of my house. They were really active, most of the time in the water doing things, eventually they made the whole nest. Soon after making a nest I saw them laying an egg! Now one or two days after laying an egg they both simply disappeared and I did not see them for the whole day. Since no one was protecting it the egg was eaten by other birds.

Then to my surprise a day later both of them appeared again! However this time they were acting really strange, almost not getting into water at all, just standing and cleaning themselves whole day. Most interesting that they are rarely standing inside the nest now and instead standing couple of meters from the nest just doing nothing, for 3 days already. Their behavior changed so much from being active in the water to standing whole day doing nothing.

I would like to hear what could have happened here? This nest is connecting to a small island and no cats or similar predators could even reach it so it's on a pretty safe location. There are no big predatory birds either.

Also, really curious to understand their current behavior. Is it possible that they are depressed due to losing an egg? Do you think chances are they will lay more eggs again now?

Hi rocknroler and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators. I'm not too sure what's going on with your Coots; but to give you an idea, they generally start their breeding attempts in March and usually lay between 6 and 10 eggs at 1-2 day intervals. I think they wait until the clutch is complete before incubation starts, as they all hatch about the same time.

The eggs could be taken by foxes, mink, otters and corvids etc.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I look forward to hearing your news. Please let us know what you see happening with these these Coots.

Hi there and a warm welcome to you! (y)
We're glad you found us and please join in wherever you like. ;)

You've got me really interested in what's going on with them so would you mind putting an update on what transpires with them?
Thanks
KC

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back