• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hummingbirds, Brazil, Atlantic Rain Forest (1 Viewer)

kitefarrago

Some pictures from my holiday in Brazil where I"m less than sure regarding id. This was my first journey to anywhere South of Mexico, and I have very little experience with hummingbirds, in paritcular their variability.

All these were taken in August in the vicinity of Ubatuba.

1. The first picture was taken at sea level. Is this identifiable?

2. I would say the second looks like Violet-capped Woodnymph, but the white vent (and the pale legs) seem odd.

The next three were taken in the hills above Ubatuba.

3. Glittering-throated Emerald?

4. The billl being partly hidden is not helping. The same again? No red visible on the lower mandible though, even when zooming in on the orignal.

5. The almost all red bill has me wondering.

Thanks for your comments,

Andrea

Attachments

• DSC01232.jpg
    DSC01232.jpg
    183.9 KB · Views: 60
  • DSC01257.jpg
    DSC01257.jpg
    247.5 KB · Views: 52
  • DSC01379.jpg
    DSC01379.jpg
    323.7 KB · Views: 55
  • DSC01500.jpg
    DSC01500.jpg
    249.6 KB · Views: 46
  • DSC01511.jpg
    DSC01511.jpg
    201.1 KB · Views: 57
For your consideration...

1. Could be Sombre? Not sure how low down they get.

2. I don't think the white is such a problem, there seem to be plenty of pics on line of these with a bit of white fluff around the vent, and perhaps the angle is accentuating the effect, and otherwise it looks ok for Violet-capped Woodnymph.

3. Versicolored Emerald

4. Perhaps Sombre again

5. Another Versicolored.

Don't take my word as gospel, far from it, but it gets the ball rolling.

Cheers

James

Having looked at a lot of photos of Emeralds this afternoon, I'm beginning to wonder if maybe 5 isn't a Glittering-throated after all... but I'm not altogether sure. I think perhaps I'll let someone else do the wikiaves legwork this time!

Cheers

James

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back