• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hummingbirds Costa Rica - April 2019 (1 Viewer)

cheethambeaton

Hi all,

Also we have some hummingbirds from CuriCancha reserve, Monteverde that we are trying to ID. All from April 2019.

Thanks,

Paul and Catheryn

Attachments

• hummer1.jpg
    hummer1.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 22
  • hummer2.jpg
    hummer2.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 37
  • hummer3.jpg
    hummer3.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 34
Here is the ebird bar chart for birds in the entrance road to that reserve (did not find the reserve as a hotspot): https://ebird.org/barchart?r=L3629943&yr=all&m=

For number 2, do you have a picture where the wings are at rest? it might be necessary to see the shoulder to distinguish between Black-bellied H, Stripe-tailed H and Coppery-headed Emerald (though I do not see a coppery crown).

I still do not have a good idea of No 3: is the inner part of the lower mandible actually red?

Niels

Here is the ebird bar chart for birds in the entrance road to that reserve (did not find the reserve as a hotspot): https://ebird.org/barchart?r=L3629943&yr=all&m=

For number 2, do you have a picture where the wings are at rest? it might be necessary to see the shoulder to distinguish between Black-bellied H, Stripe-tailed H and Coppery-headed Emerald (though I do not see a coppery crown).

I still do not have a good idea of No 3: is the inner part of the lower mandible actually red?

Niels

Yeah I've been puzzling over these too. I think 2 has to be coppery-headed emerald, despite the fact that it looks more like white-tailed emerald (which isn't there, of course). Bill shape rules out the other possibilities I think. Couldn't fit the last, especially with the apparent buff panels in the tail.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back