• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hummingfird feeder being invaded? (1 Viewer)

easytim

This bird has been drinking at the hummingbird feeder, we think it is a female Downing Woodpecker. Its sticking its long beak down into the hole to feed.

Pictures can be seen here ---- Woodpecker feeding at the hummingbird feeder

If it wasn't for that yellow plastic flower it couldn't hang on, I guess its a Downing Woodpecker. It sure wasn't afraid of me, I got 12 feet away from it to take these pictures, didn't seem bothered by me at all.

Last edited:
How sweet is that!
I've read that many people have reported the Downy on their hummingbird feeders. I get the house finch on mine, along with the squirrel and ants!
Welcome to the forum, Easytim

Clever Downys

I have Downys on my hummer feeders - the very same feeder as easytim. I wonder if they like the sweet tast. Must because I have other sources of water. I think it's an adaptive move.

That's nifty. I get Hooded Orioles at mine, but I never got a chance to take their pictures, and i think they have left already, soI shall have to wait till next year.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back